Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shamed Into Installing New Nostalgic A/C Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Shamed Into Installing New Nostalgic A/C Cover

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: j2dawson

That looks great. I bought one and even with the thick gasket, with the K&N filter, it isn't spaced out far enough. I've been thinking about puting a spacer under the center of the cover.

They now make a plain round chrome one without the logo. It fits fine, but doesn't look near as good as yours.

Jim
Must be a difference in the size between the HD and K&N filter, as the nostalgic cover fits perfectly on my bike using the gasket..

The dimensions for the HD 29442-99D filter used with the 'Stage 1' conversion are; 5 1/2" across at the top, 6 1/2" across at the base (bottom), and 2 1/4" deep...

There must be a difference in the filrters as my cover goes up against the back plate and doesn't bottom against the filter center. The center starts dimpling if I tighten it up enough to not move. I really like the cover.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

ORIGINAL: j2dawson

That looks great. I bought one and even with the thick gasket, with the K&N filter, it isn't spaced out far enough. I've been thinking about puting a spacer under the center of the cover.

They now make a plain round chrome one without the logo. It fits fine, but doesn't look near as good as yours.

Jim
Saw the plan round cover at the dealer. I am wondering if it will accept a trim insert?
Dave,

I bought the cover and a replacement '07 Heritage trim ring, but the trim ring isn't flat so the inside edge would be away from the cover, if that's the trim you meant. It would look good if it worked. I tried the plain cover alone and I can't decide if I like it or not.

Jim

Old 12-15-2006, 10:09 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The old school cover was one of my first mods i really do not like the football type they use now days this one also opens the motor a little more for a sweet look

Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

Looks great. I really like the old school look. Can you get a chrome screw or allen bolt to replace that stock one?
I checked this morning, and the center screw that came in the package is chrome plated.

Guess when I took the first picture the sunlight did something 'weird' to the coloring of the screw. LoL...

Old 12-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got that same cover.....and I LOVE IT!

The way is shows off more of the engine is awesome. One of the best pieces of chrome i've picked up in my opinion.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:33 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same cover. It does make a statement!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/AC12CD4ED0FF4F4AA717E3CA8968C466.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2006, 07:15 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oldfenderguy,I believe I have the A/C cover that your" Nostalgic" cover is based on.This is a 1950's era Panhead A/C cover that I run on my 03 Fatboy.Same design just a little smaller diameter.I'm with you.Way better than the football design.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To all.. They all look great..

I just can't go back on my creedo with this bike which means unless it's old & crusty or damaged, I can't replace a perfectly good chrome part with another chrome part. hehehehe.. See, key word "chrome".. Doesn't count for ADDING chrome where chrome wasn't before.. hand controls, front end, belt guards, pulley, etc..

oh yeah I got big ideas..
big big ideas...

no cash. [:'(]

TGIF!

Old 12-15-2006, 08:02 PM
bs2100
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: F.U.I.R.S.

Oldfenderguy,I believe I have the A/C cover that your" Nostalgic" cover is based on.This is a 1950's era Panhead A/C cover that I run on my 03 Fatboy.Same design just a little smaller diameter.I'm with you.Way better than the football design.
[IMG][/IMG]
Is that a kit for your bike or was it one you found and fit it on there yourself?

Old 12-15-2006, 08:45 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

After reading (and looking at pictures) of all the air filter cover modifications everyone has been making I was 'shamed' into changing my stock cover today.

Being "Old School", I've always liked the nostalgic Bar & Shield round covers.

Had to make a 200+ mile run to the nearest Harley Dealer today to pick up some needed stuff, and also purchased the 29139-91 Nostalic Bar & Shield cover along with the recommended 29591-99 Service Gasket (actually it spaces the cover out about 1/4" from the face of the filter.

In my opinion the cover looks great, and really 'cleans up' the look....

I love it. I ran the part number 29139-91 and came up with nothing. Are you sure about the number?

Quick Reply: Shamed Into Installing New Nostalgic A/C Cover