Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rear fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:26 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new rear fender

Im going to be tackling a rear fender replacement next weekend. Can I remove the original rear fender and keep the rear wheel on? I dont have a bike jack so Im hoping that there is a way to get the tail light wires disconnected without taking the rear wheel off.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It'll be tough, but doable.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:16 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

You have to remove the bolt at the front of the fender that goes into the frame. Not sure you can do that with the tire on.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I have removed the rear fender on my Heritage without pulling the tire. Try to get someone to help you so you won't scratch the paint.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just remove the fender with the struts and change over everything on a padded area. Just need to unplug the rear harness and the ECM good to go. I have mine off all the time. Takes like 15 min. should loosten the strut bolts before removing as it is easier when mounted

Old 01-28-2012, 10:56 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

thanks for the tips guys, gonna take this on this weekend hope to have the rear fender on before the bags get here in a few weeks

Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Just remove the fender with the struts and change over everything on a padded area. Just need to unplug the rear harness and the ECM good to go. I have mine off all the time. Takes like 15 min. should loosten the strut bolts before removing as it is easier when mounted
+1, you will also have to unplug the ECM and for safety sake put some painter's tape on the top of your oil tank ... I scratched mine when I lifted the fender.

If this is the first time you are trying to loosen the strut bolts, heat them up with a soldering iron so you don't get a hernia trying to loosen them. Those bolts are smothered in loctite at the factory.

Last edited by Rakthi; 01-28-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

Ive been talking to a few guys, and I may not have to take the fender off at all. The only reason i was gonna take it off was to get the tailight and blinkers off. The new fender is an overlay and I have to enlarge the hole in the fender to accept the lighting module of the new fender, and cut the bottom of the old fender completely off so that the new one can attach to the crossover mount of the baggertail. Anyone ever taken the signals and tailight off with the fender and rear wheel in place?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010Deluxeguy
Ive been talking to a few guys, and I may not have to take the fender off at all. The only reason i was gonna take it off was to get the tailight and blinkers off. The new fender is an overlay and I have to enlarge the hole in the fender to accept the lighting module of the new fender, and cut the bottom of the old fender completely off so that the new one can attach to the crossover mount of the baggertail. Anyone ever taken the signals and tailight off with the fender and rear wheel in place?
Not sure how you'd get the wiring plugs through the fender and can't imagine depinning the plugs with the wheel mounted....but just had a thought, if you aren't worried about the fender (because it'll be covered) and your going to cut it up etc, you may be able to just drill a hole beside the holes the wire runs through to enlarge them so the wiring plugs pull through. (Just don't drill into the tire.) BUT hopefully someone who's done the mod your doing will chime in.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

Dean, Im thinking Im gonna take the fender completely off because I need to replace the one crossthreaded insert anyway. Im probably stressin more than its worth on this thing. Take them 6 allen head bolts out, and pull on the mf'er until its free and clear haha. Unplug the wiring harness and the ecm and cross my fingers...i'll take pics and give y'all a commentary of my blunders once I get going.

Quick Reply: new rear fender