Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSTB rear fender kit Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FXSTB rear fender kit Alternative?

I love the look of the Heartland ez200 kit but cannot justify the $2200 price. I can get a fender seat and struts for less than $800 to $1000. So what is tha additional 1200 for? Has anyone out there used the RSD rear fender kit? It doesnt include seat but you can get is all day long for $500. I realize it will have to be trimmed for ECM but ther than that has anyone documented the conversion and how hard and what seat fit with the kit. I would love to see if there are other options before I throw down 2 g's.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

After getting burned a couple of times (cough*DEMONSCYCLE!!!cough*) with this, I finally dropped the $$$ on the Heartland kit. It is really the only true bolt-on kit out there.

Heartland knows this and charges as such.

After researching the RSD kit, I found that what they don't tell you on the site is that you can't just buy the fender and throw it on. You have to buy the seat as well. And the seat doesn't fit with an OEM tank. You have to buy their tank.

Get the picture?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

Wow I wasnt aware of that I really have no intention of replacing the tank. One more question I noticed the heartland kit uses a bridge type passenger seat set up that goes from strut to strut does this mean the fender wont support a pillion pad? Looks like it would protect paint but also looks ridiculous like a one up style seat.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

The struts have little slots in them and their passenger seat kit attaches there. I can't vouch for its comfort as I've never tried it. It's a pretty nifty set-up though. I wouldn't imagine it'd be good for a long trip, but for a last minute bi**h ride, it would be ok.

Not sure about putting a pad on the fender. I've sat on it while parked and haven't noticed any damage.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

Thanks for the info. You would think someone else would come up with something considering the high mark up oppertunity.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure you can still use the rsd kit without swapping to their tank kit. I believe its the fender and seat combo that is a must, but the tank is optional. Not positive, (So dont buy on my words) but research it a little more. Like jy kelly said, the heartland kit has more to offer.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,117 Likes on 5,824 Posts

If you can do basic layout and drill a few holes, you could have the same look for $400 or less:
http://www.cas4.com/fenders/rear-fenders.html

http://www.cas4.com/fenders/struts/struts-kw.htm

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,378 Likes on 2,577 Posts

Thanks for that site Tom.You buy from them yet?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

If you can do basic layout and drill a few holes, you could have the same look for $400 or less:

Totally. If I had the access to the shop that I did last year, I would've foregone the HL kit and had my guy just fab up a blank and weld it to the swingarm. I wouldn't have had to do all the suspension work I have... live and learn.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

I know I could handle fitting and drilling to get fender installed, The only thing bothering me is getting a somewhat comfortable seat to fit what I custom built. That is what has me so hesitant on the HL kit as I know I could do most of it for so much cheaper but then what about the seat and I do need some comfort I go on long rides frequently. I should also throw out there that I dont like the springer style seat even though it would be perfect solution. Too old scholl for me My style is more clean basic modern.

Quick Reply: FXSTB rear fender kit Alternative?