Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying bike out of state- have you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 PM
suthrn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a little inspiration for ya'... I purchased my FLSTC while working in AZ in 2010, had a custom 6x12 v-nose trailer made for it in Georgia (no garage at home), returned home through GA with the scoot strapped in the truck bed, then trailered it home from there. How bad you want that scoot!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha, ha- nice!

Originally Posted by suthrn
Here's a little inspiration for ya'... I purchased my FLSTC while working in AZ in 2010, had a custom 6x12 v-nose trailer made for it in Georgia (no garage at home), returned home through GA with the scoot strapped in the truck bed, then trailered it home from there. How bad you want that scoot!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
suthrn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wanabe
you are on the right track, but as above i wonder whether there could be insurance problems with an unregistered bike... there has to be some way around this stupid law!
Being from NC and purchasing and temp plating in AZ, there wasn't an issue with registration. Just told them it'd be registered in NC when I got back home. No biggie. In the order of operation of things... The bank needed proof in insurance prior to completion of sale, the ins. co. just needed make, model and probably the VIN, and the AZ DMV was happy to give me a 90 day temp plate for $15 'till I could get it back home. After all, that's what temp plates are for... to letcha' ride / drive legally until it can be registered and plated properly.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

in calif we dont have to have a notary on the title...

i just got an "offline" comment- it was worth repeating so i am posting it up to see if anyone has done this:

if you have friends or relatives in another state, register the bike there (outside of california). as long as you dont get pulled over in calif you should be able to ride legally until 7,500 miles and then register it in california.

so i would just have to find a state that does not require a physical inspection to issue the registration...

and here are the california rules:
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
I just bought a bike out of state that still had a lien on it. Bank had the title on hand and I paid the loan off and gave the seller the balance in cash. The lien holder had to sign off on the lien release and then we had the sale notarized at the same bank. On the back of the title (perhaps this is not true in all states) at the time of the sale the odometer reading is filled in and the notary filled it in.

If the sale can be completed without a notary or the odometer reading to be filled in at the time of sale is not a requirement then you might be able to ride it (unregistered a bit chancy) until you are at the mileage level needed. Or if the odometer box is left blank just put in 7500 miles. Of course, if California requires a vehicle inspection most likely the inspecting facility will have to enter the mileage on some necessary form.

Last edited by wanabe; 01-24-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

hey suthern, just noticed that you are in n.c. and so is the bike i am considering... how far from rockingham are you? do you ever get to rockingham?

Last edited by wanabe; 01-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
suthrn
Intermediate

Been there plenty for drag racing (not lately tho) and it's a little over an hour away.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Here's what you do. Buy the bike,have it shipped to me in Florida where I will put on the needed 4500 miles(no insurance or inspection requirement here, and I got plenty of plates) then you can have it shipped to Cal. & register it no problem.

Seriously--I would absolutely NOT buy a bike sight unseen. When I buy, I check all fluids,undercarriage,motor,tranny,pull the plugs, fasteners, checked for stripped bolts & threads,take an extended test ride,check VIN & paperwork. This all takes me a couple hours. Buying sight unseen,even with low mileage, is very risky,especially when you're forkin' over that kinda jing, IMHO.
Should be plenty of nice sleds local to you.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

Having lived there for 15 years I feel your pain. First thing is don't get caught riding without insurance or registration they will impound the bike if you get caught until they can determine if it's "stolen" or not.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 AM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's F'ed up. Find some one you know out of state and register it there, it won't take long to put the miles on it then register it in Cali. I'm sure yer not the only one who has done that. I know here in CT ya just have to have a vin check done by DMV and pay the taxes on it here to get a bike registered from out of state. Good luck with it.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe

if you have friends or relatives in another state, register the bike there (outside of california). as long as you dont get pulled over in calif you should be able to ride legally until 7,500 miles and then register it in california.

so i would just have to find a state that does not require a physical inspection to issue the registration...
Too funny... I had gone through all the ideas including that one before finally buying a Ca bike. I have a brother that lives in Oregon and thought about it real hard... If you get caught riding the bike with an out of state plate you have a problem. Again, insurance also... and dont get in an accident, speeding tickets, bike stolen...

Odometer swap is the best way as I mentioned before. Borrow, buy a used one with 7500+ miles... not a new one! Once the bike is registered dmv will never look at it again.

Lots of hd riders live in so cal and are on this forum with more then 7500 miles on the odometer.. lol

Last edited by KumaRide; 01-25-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: buying bike out of state- have you?