Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Fuel Injection...Fuel Management Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Jax TX
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Fuel Injection...Fuel Management Needed?

I have an '01 FXSTBI with a Stage 1 download. It has Big Radius pipes and a V02 Drak Black air intake. I had good performance and had ZERO popping out of the exhaust. I was also getting 42-44 mpg. At the suggestion of a parts guy, I installed a Fuelpak. Since, I have a ton of exhaust popping and my mileage has dropped down to 32-36 mpg. My question is......is fuel management really needed for this set up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

If it wasn't broke, why did you try to fix it?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Jax TX
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first FI Harley. In talking with a HD Tech, he got me wondering about it running too lean. Last thing I want to do is burn up an engine. Starting to wonder if I should take it off and have it Dyno checked to see what the map looks like.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:56 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax TX
I have an '01 FXSTBI with a Stage 1 download. It has Big Radius pipes and a V02 Drak Black air intake. I had good performance and had ZERO popping out of the exhaust. I was also getting 42-44 mpg. At the suggestion of a parts guy, I installed a Fuelpak. Since, I have a ton of exhaust popping and my mileage has dropped down to 32-36 mpg. My question is......is fuel management really needed for this set up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Why did you install a FuelPak if you already had a Stage 1 ECM flash that seemed to working well?
A couple of other questions:
-Did you install the V&H map that came with the FuelPak or did you use the one from their website? V&H recommend using the website (http://www.fuelpakfi.com/fplookup_new_revb.php?bikemfgx=), as it is the latest and there were differences between the two for my set-up. If you didn't use the website, the map in the box is probably for stock ECM only anyway.
-If you used the website to obtain your map, did you indicate you had the Stage 1 mapped ECM when specifying your set-up?

Call their tech support. Very helpful people. They will ask you the same two questions as well.

Mike

Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the high flow AC you're likely to be running pretty lean and hotter than normal. A Stage 1 download IS a fuel management mod (richer) for the stock air/fuel mixture.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Jax TX
This is my first FI Harley. In talking with a HD Tech, he got me wondering about it running too lean. Last thing I want to do is burn up an engine. Starting to wonder if I should take it off and have it Dyno checked to see what the map looks like.
All U or the wrench would have had to do is check Ur plugs. That would have told U if the motor was too lean.. Looking at U pipes can also tell how she's burning.

Ur not the first that I've read in here where the FP didn't fare well. But theirs a bunch that have had good results also.

For a little more $$$ U can get one of several tuneable FM systems and then get a good Dyno tune or get a Self tuner.

Son and I've had 4 of the HD tuners, we like them and have been totally pleased, NOT saying they are the best, but we're sold on them.

Hope U get it worked out.
Could be U just need to punch in some new numbers to get it better.
Call V&H'S and see what they say.