Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering: just the rear? or do I....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM
eddie c-clamp
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering: just the rear? or do I....

have to lower the front also?

2000 FB.

I wanna lower the center of gravity mostly. Looks 2nd.

Them shotgun shox are kinda pricey. I'd go with the cheapo extenders prolly.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't have to do the fronts. I did 1-1/2 in the back and nothing up front

Last edited by kozy22; 01-20-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a new set of lowering bolts I never installed. Below is the description. If your interested send me a pm.

The VMS Racing Harley Softail Lowering Kits are Manufactured of High Quality Stress Proof 1045 Steel and then Triple Chrome Plated for a Long Lasting Finish.

Kit Includes 2 lowering Links and all Necessary Installation hardware & Grade 9 nuts. This Kit Can Lower the Rear of your Softail Bike From Stock to 2" Inches. Installation Instructions Included.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowering the back will move the mass of the rider lower and if you want more then go to a low profile seat. Lowering the front wont make a huge difference if you go one inch but if you go 2 in the back and 2 in the front it is going to give you a stock angle with a lower center. If you go 2 in the back and leave the front alone you are going to get more of the taildragger type of look.

Going down 2 in the back with a lowering bolt kit is going to give you a very stiff ride that you might not like with the stock shocks. Look at the progressive rear shock kits first or an air suspension if you got the cash.

I am 2 down in the front and I dont notice it much although you can bottom them out depending how much weight is on the bike and what kind of dip you hit.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM
eddie c-clamp
3rd Gear

Thanks gents.

NC- shoot me a pm and let me know what you want for them Also tell me what bars on your avatar bike.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eddie - I'll shoot you a PM. Ooops, you can't do PMs yet. Check your visitors messages on your profile.

The bars are Burly Beach bars, here's a link to the parts needed.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
greg k
Cruiser

Proggresive 422 on my heritage.nice improvement over 2 inch drop kit with stock shocks.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cheaper than a new seat .... send your stock seat to MeanCity have them lower and narow the nose . i had mine done with some memory foam added for comfort . looks great very comfey when broke in . cost me About $150 including shipping.

Last edited by baust55; 01-20-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

C&C Solo seat lowers the cg a lot... and while the Shotgun system is not cheap, as you will see from the many others who have done so it is worth every penny. Can't understand and fully appreciate 'til you try it, as there is no value you can place on being able to adjust the height AND damping (independently) on the fly. Sometimes you want or need to fly low, and sometimes you need the height or extra stiffening for the conditions or the load.

Roger

Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Lowered mine in the rear with a different type of kit. It's basically a collar that slips around the rear of the shock bolt and a new end piece thats longer. You don't even need to remove the shocks but its a pain to reach with a regular bike stand. The bike is definitely lower (supposedly 1-1/2") but its low enough where I have to rock the bike and kick the stand underneath it to get it to fit. Before I just stood the bike upright and slid the stand under. I didn't notice a huge difference in handling besides scraping a little earlier but I have the benefit of having my footboards pretty far forwards so they aren't really that much lower. Ride is a little rougher.

Here's a crappy comparison pick. Angle isn't right at all and the front tire is turned opposite directions but you can see how much closer the fender is to the seat.

Quick Reply: Lowering: just the rear? or do I....