Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Rush Baloney Cut Slip-Ons

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
jackets
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A question or 2:

I'm still not convinced that I really need a full exhaust system replacement, especially with all the positive comments I've seen on a few different slip ons. That said, a question or 3:
1) With the Rush slip ons with the 1.75 baffles, will I need to have the bike tuned.
2) If they bike gets tuned, will I need to purchase a tuner or can I just purchase a canned map from my harley dealer service dept.
3) Will the stock headers turn blue with or w/o a proper tune after adding the 1.75 slip ons?
I am trying to not break the bank (yet)

Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Iceman68
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackets
A question or 2:

I'm still not convinced that I really need a full exhaust system replacement, especially with all the positive comments I've seen on a few different slip ons. That said, a question or 3:
1) With the Rush slip ons with the 1.75 baffles, will I need to have the bike tuned.
2) If they bike gets tuned, will I need to purchase a tuner or can I just purchase a canned map from my harley dealer service dept.
3) Will the stock headers turn blue with or w/o a proper tune after adding the 1.75 slip ons?
I can only offer what I've seen.

1) From what I've read on the net; No. However, and this goes with answer 3), they all run lean from the factory. So it would be a good idea to get it tuned regardless of exhaust setup.
2) I can't say for sure. My plans are to purchase a PCV from FuelMoto in the near future so I won't have to worry about this.
3) If you notice, the stock pipes were blued with a stock bike. That happened within the 3800 miles I rode it since new.

oct1949, I have indeed debated on wrapping the pipes. I think I might try the powder coat first though.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackets
A question or 2:

First, thanks for choosing Rush! Hope this info helps.

1. If the engine and intake are stock, you will not have to retune using 1.75" baffles.
2. Here is what the H-D download does... It adds a tiny bit of fuel at full throttle only and raises the rev limiter on some bikes, that is it. Their download is EPA regulated and will not richen the bike past the stock lean settings. Tuning your bike with a fuel management isn't required but still recommended. The less expensive brand name units work great if you don't plan on doing major engine work.
3. The headers will turn blue but the heatshields covering them should not. If you want a black powder coat for your heatshields I can give you our guys info so you can match the mufflers. Just let me know.

-Ryan

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman68
I can only offer what I've seen.

1) From what I've read on the net; No. However, and this goes with answer 3), they all run lean from the factory. So it would be a good idea to get it tuned regardless of exhaust setup.

True, they are EPA lean, Stock A/F ratio used to be around 14.7 or so which is leaner than what a U'd get from a good tuner and dyno which is usually tuned around 13.8. Ur bike should start a little better, run better and also the motor will be cooler with a full stg1 setup.

2) I can't say for sure. My plans are to purchase a PCV from FuelMoto in the near future so I won't have to worry about this.
3) If you notice, the stock pipes were blued with a stock bike. That happened within the 3800 miles I rode it since new.

oct1949, I have indeed debated on wrapping the pipes. I think I might try the powder coat first though.
As far as cost I'd think PC'ing them would be about the same $ as wrapping them plus U wouldn't have to remove the header for the wrap.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
jostan
Advanced

How hard was the install? this will be my first real mod too! I just received my Rush baloney cut 2" this week. hope to install this weekend. any special insight into removing the old mufflers and installing the new?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

Originally Posted by jostan
How hard was the install? this will be my first real mod too! I just received my Rush baloney cut 2" this week. hope to install this weekend. any special insight into removing the old mufflers and installing the new?
Just keep in mind to use new clamps and the torque setting is considerably higher than what the HD manual states. I believe it is on the order of 60-65ft for the Rush slip ons due to the thicker gauge construction versus stock mufflers.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an easy install. The stock mufflers were a little tough to get off but s little WD40 helped.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Love your Deluxe color combo but personally I would've went with the chromes.

I've been running the 1.75s on my 08 since the bike was new and the bike has run fine without a tuner. Even after putting a K&N A/C on it.

I compared the oil temps with my wife's stock 08 Deluxe and they've never varied from +- 5 degrees. I did intend to get a tuner but because I have so many addons modules under the seat there was always a space issue. When the PowerVision "flash" tuner came out I thought some more about getting a tuner. Still thinking .

As far as using new clamps, I've had mine off and on several times and they've always tightened and held their torque just fine. Initially I bought new ones as recommended but after looking at their design I could see no basis for the claim that they wear out, lose their torque, or whatever. I could be wrong but not replacing them has worked fine for me.

Getting the old ones off can be a pain. Rocking them back and forth or up and down while being mindful of not putting too much force on the header connection at the engine has always worked for me.

When putting the clamps on be sure to put them far enough forward so they can compress the "wings" on the end of the slipon and use at least the Rush recommended torque which I believe is 65lbs. Some hi temp RTV can't hurt but it's messy stuff and I've had good results with and w/o it. Never had any leaks or decel popping.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 AM
rocchetti459
Intermediate

am planing on these for my slim,also want to wrapp the stock pippes,in black

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
jostan
Advanced
Cool my next mod too!

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how the install went for a complete novice...

Quick Reply: Installed Rush Baloney Cut Slip-Ons