Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Ranges??? Where do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
Use your your hearing, your sense of feel, the seat of your pants... Christ sakes! the altitude, temperature, grade.. how fat the ol on the pillion is all play a part on where you shift. What rpm range you ride in has nothing to do with where you shift.
I hear that... no pun intended. I used to shift very early trying to keep the bike at a lower RPM and save gas. It would lug and feel like crap. Now I won't see 6th until I hit at least 65 unless I forget what gear I'm in and hit 6th early.... even then I downshift back into 5th. I've hit the rev limiter countless times on my bike and when I was riding up around the Tail of the Dragon I was intentionally a gear low to keep the bike buzzing along. I had ear plugs so I barely noticed but I'm sure she was screaming.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2,000 - 3,000 rpm most of the time.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:23 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
Use your your hearing, your sense of feel, the seat of your pants... Christ sakes! the altitude, temperature, grade.. how fat the ol on the pillion is all play a part on where you shift. What rpm range you ride in has nothing to do with where you shift.
Ditto!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Tracerbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned to find the "sweet spot" from riding Shovelheads for many years. For my SG the "sweet spot" is around 2500-3000. When the tach gets down around 2000 I downshift. Still not used to having two extra gears to play with.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Dealer made a specific point of pointing out that 6th is for 60-70 mph+. Otherwise, I ride in the 2500-3100 range too.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
CB1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I run my 08 dyna so it has torque when I twist the throttle. So I ride in 5th til about 70mph then grab 6th. It sounds like you need torque cams such as the SE255s.
Before I bought my '08 Heritage (stock w/ slip ons) I had a '08 Dyna Super Glide ( programmer, exhaust, intake) and there is a big difference between the RPM/Shifting/Speed on that and the Heritage. I rarely shifted into 6th below 70mph, bike simply didn't like it, lugged down. My heritage I can shift into 6th at 60 and it is fine. May change after programmer and intake, but doesn't seem to be much different on matt's bike with the HD stage one and exhaust.

Either way keep giving good feedback to him. He's the test subject so i can also decide on what cams i want.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Mathom
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the thread that brought me to this forum and convinced me to join. Was wondering about RPM's for shifting and cruising also. At around 2,300 and less my engine definitely lugs. Seems the power range is around 2,400 to 3,400. I cruise at around 2,500 to 2,800. Engine seems to be working hard at 3,000 but probably it is that I am just no accustomed to hearing the engine turn that high while cruising. Anyway, the information on this thread sure has helped me, thanks.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt990724
been trying to wrap my head around cams for over a year now. "where do you plan to ride" relative to the RPM range.

I ride in the 2500-3100 range. Am I shifting too early? I am just above lugging, so I think I am riding in the optimum range as far as engine health/efficiency, but I am not sure.

at 70mph in 6th I at 2550rpms, Do others ride in a higher range?

I do recognize that 5-speed trans will have a slightly higher cruising range on the freeway. But, where do you all prefer to shift?

Looking forward to comments

Ur in the same boat as many others and myself was when I picked out my cams3-4 yrs ago.

After I studied and read for several months I picked out some Andrews 26h's for the way I ride which is Usually two up and mostly putting around. They are great bolt-ins for a other wise stock motor with stg1..

Though Not all like them because they are not the baddest nor will Ur bike be the fastest around. But the are EASY on Ur motor valve train, will make U motor run at least 15* cooler and if tuned U should get 2-4 better fuel mileage.

I also have learned that most any cam that has a Intake closing of less than 35* will work and do a great job for 90% of riders who ride in the 2-3k rpm range

IMO really most people really over think the picking out a Cam process...

Of all the cams made there is not a Magic one that does it all on a non-build motor.!!

Also according to a chart on MPH VS RPM's that BIGBoyzcycles.com has, it shows that my bike and Urs also should be running at 2650prm's at 70mph.

Once U install Low-MID cams U'll be able to ride at 2200 rpm easy and it wont be lugging Ur motor at all.. because U'll have right at 20% more TQ above 2k rpm's than U do with a stock motor.

U cant do that with some built motors made to really scream in the 3-6K rpms because their not built with low Tq in mind. running one of those motors at 2200 could be lugging and have a lot of pinging. But IMO, not a stock motor..

Before I did the Cams and after I did Stg1, I never, NEVER, liked the feel of 6th gear,, She just felt like she was underpowered.. and She was..
I didn't call it Lugging, I called it Laboring,, it felt like I had to give her more gas to stay at a steady speed...
And I always dropped 3-4 mpg when I used 6th gear on trips.

After I added the Cams with the stg1, I can now ride at 60mph in 6th anytime and I have for 35k miles now and she'll accelerate easy at that speed.. in fact she accelerates better now from 60mph in 6th than she did in just stg1 form riding at 50mph in 5th and accelerating.

So adding Low-mid cams will make a MAJOR difference ALL AROUND>.

As far as shifting,
Now I usually shift while just putting around in the country at,
(shift-speeds) - 2nd at-20:,3rd at-30;,4th at 40;, 5th at 50;, 6th at 60 mph.
At these speeds the RPM's are between 2000 and 2600.

Now if I was to go shoping again for cams,, For a plain Stg1 Motor wanting cams only..

I would really Look at the new Woods 222's,,
First U can't hardly beat Woods cams,,
Second with the timing events of this new bolt in cam. IMO it will prob out perform most others if not all of the simple bolt-ins and still have some really mild street manors while being easy on our motors.

Sorry this is so long, I just like to help others with what I've learned about cams.
I've spent many, many Hrs looking them up and studying dyno sheets plus Reading and learning about Cams, so I like to pass on info and help to all who ask.

Any other ???'s,, I'll do and answer them to help all..

Hope this help U and any others who reads this

Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts

My 2012 Softail owner's manual states that the RPMs during the first 100 miles should be under 3000. Between 100 and 500 miles the RPMs can go up to 3500. After 500 miles the break-in period is finished. I'm currently cruising between 2500 and 3000, and this feels right for the twisties. I downshift under 2000 to keep from lugging, and look forward to what 4000 feels like

Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
I guess I may be shifting early but to me when the bikes around 2000 it doesn't feel like it's lugging and I figure I might get a little better mileage by keeping the RPM's down.
There is no way you are not lugging that motor shifting at 2,000. Unless it's downhill with a tail wind....your next gear will drop the RPM at least 300 and you cannot accelerate from 1,700 without major strain. It may feel like it is handling it but you will hurt that crank in the long run. You need to be closer to 2,500 to keep things in the right ranges.

Quick Reply: RPM Ranges??? Where do you ride?