Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating Coil on a newer 2011 type bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012 | 08:44 PM
Fierofly
|
Tourer
Default Relocating Coil on a newer 2011 type bikes?

Can the coil be relocated and different plug wires be used on a newer ECM model bike? I've read that the ECM uses the stock plugs and wires to get some of its settings. If you change these parts will it effect the way the bike runs? Has anybody heard of this or changed these parts?

Old 01-17-2012 | 08:48 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

I used two sets of stock wires and just used the shorter ones in the set. No issues here.

Old 01-17-2012 | 11:58 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Can the coil be relocated and different plug wires be used on a newer ECM model bike? I've read that the ECM uses the stock plugs and wires to get some of its settings. If you change these parts will it effect the way the bike runs? Has anybody heard of this or changed these parts?
I'll let you know at the end of March when I get back from this deployment. I picked up the coil and horn relocation kit with the red Screamin' Eagle wires from DK Customs and it should be the first of many, many mods I do when I get back. But from my talk with the DK Customs guy, he didn't mention anything about this issue.

Oh! And if, by chance, you decide to get the stuff from DK Customs, they do have a military discount. PM me and I'll give you the code.

Old 01-18-2012 | 12:37 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fierofly
You can use the stock wires like soft 02 mentioned, or you can get the Harley Screamin' Eagle Plug Wires that are made to fit the DK Custom Softail Coil Relo.

They work fine with EFI and carbed bikes and are available in Red and Black.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-18-2012 | 06:25 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Absolutely! Just figure how long you want them. Mine are 9" (I think)

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:08 AM
Fierofly
|
Tourer

I'm almost positive that I've read that the ECM system on the 2011 models, different then the past ECM's uses the resistance reading or something like that to adjust timing or something and if you change any of the stock parts you will mess up these readings. I'm looking to see if anybody knows if this is true, or has anybody with a 2011 or 2012 had success with changing these parts.

Old 01-18-2012 | 09:55 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

I run the Red SE wires and there has been no change in how the bike runs.

Old 01-18-2012 | 10:08 AM
anubisss
Banned

There is no need to buy a relocation kit. Just take off the horn, lengthen the wires for the coil and mount it in the horn cover. Get some spark plug wires that fit. Either way it works.

Old 01-18-2012 | 05:22 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master

Originally Posted by anubisss
There is no need to buy a relocation kit. Just take off the horn, lengthen the wires for the coil and mount it in the horn cover. Get some spark plug wires that fit. Either way it works.
That's what I did. Moved the coil under the cowbell, used stock wires from a Rocker, removed the center post, and put the horn up front between the down tubes.

You don't so much have to worry about the wires, but the spark plugs themselves. Without getting into a holy war over it, the ECM uses a ion sensing knock detection system, which uses the plugs. Some people will swear by the stock plugs, some people say almost anything will work. It's just like the damn stupid 'which oil is best' threads.

Old 01-18-2012 | 05:29 PM
Fierofly
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
That's what I did. Moved the coil under the cowbell, used stock wires from a Rocker, removed the center post, and put the horn up front between the down tubes.

You don't so much have to worry about the wires, but the spark plugs themselves. Without getting into a holy war over it, the ECM uses a ion sensing knock detection system, which uses the plugs. Some people will swear by the stock plugs, some people say almost anything will work. It's just like the damn stupid 'which oil is best' threads.
So if your correct I don't have to worry about the plug wire length affecting the ION sensing?

Quick Reply: Relocating Coil on a newer 2011 type bikes?