Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating Coil on a newer 2011 type bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012 | 05:31 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fierofly
So if your correct I don't have to worry about the plug wire length affecting the ION sensing?
I'm not going to commit to saying anything, other than I went from the stock length wires on a 2010 Lo to the short wires from a Rocker with no ill effects. YMMV

Old 01-18-2012 | 07:20 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I'm almost positive that I've read that the ECM system on the 2011 models, different then the past ECM's uses the resistance reading or something like that to adjust timing or something and if you change any of the stock parts you will mess up these readings. I'm looking to see if anybody knows if this is true, or has anybody with a 2011 or 2012 had success with changing these parts.
We have installed our kits on new and used 2011 & 2012 bikes, no problem. We just did one a couple of weeks ago at a Dealership on one of their brand new bikes that they were doing some add on stuff before putting on the floor.

There are wires that will not feedback correctly to the ECM, but the SE and PRO RACE work fine.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-18-2012 | 07:26 PM
Fierofly
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
We have installed our kits on new and used 2011 & 2012 bikes, no problem. We just did one a couple of weeks ago at a Dealership on one of their brand new bikes that they were doing some add on stuff before putting on the floor.

There are wires that will not feedback correctly to the ECM, but the SE and PRO RACE work fine.
That's the answer I'm looking for. I've already installed a sporty horn upfront, coil move and seat bar removel next. Thanks for Y'alls help!!

Old 01-18-2012 | 07:28 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by anubisss
There is no need to buy a relocation kit. Just take off the horn, lengthen the wires for the coil and mount it in the horn cover. Get some spark plug wires that fit. Either way it works.
When you say it that way it sounds easy....lol, til you go to do it.

Gotta make sure you switch the correct two coil leads or you will have to cross your plug wires coming out the bottom of the cowbell. Gotta drill and fab/reshape the bracket to hold the coil in the cowbell, get some different bolts & a few other odds and ends like soldering the wires etc.

All in all it is not that hard of a job, but the kit makes it a LOT easier, and ends up with a cleaner look.

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:43 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Hey Fierofly your bike aint no A-10. Your over thinking things. LOL

Old 01-18-2012 | 09:21 PM
Fierofly
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Hey Fierofly your bike aint no A-10. Your over thinking things. LOL
YEP!, That's my nature, I overthink everything!!

Old 01-22-2012 | 08:51 AM
Fierofly
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
When you say it that way it sounds easy....lol, til you go to do it.

Gotta make sure you switch the correct two coil leads or you will have to cross your plug wires coming out the bottom of the cowbell. Gotta drill and fab/reshape the bracket to hold the coil in the cowbell, get some different bolts & a few other odds and ends like soldering the wires etc.

All in all it is not that hard of a job, but the kit makes it a LOT easier, and ends up with a cleaner look.
Kevin,
I'm going to move the coil and remove the seat post and lift the tank. Questions:
1. I'd like Orange wires, Do you Have?
2. Not sure what size tank lift I want, checked your web site for Fatboy pictures with different sizes, NOT.
3. Do you have Discounts???
Thanks for your imputs, Mike

Old 01-22-2012 | 09:43 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Kevin,
I'm going to move the coil and remove the seat post and lift the tank. Questions:
1. I'd like Orange wires, Do you Have?
2. Not sure what size tank lift I want, checked your web site for Fatboy pictures with different sizes, NOT.
3. Do you have Discounts???
Thanks for your imputs, Mike
Your sig shows your a mech. Do you have acsses to a punch/sheer. Take a strap of 3/4 by 1/8 by2 1/2 and punch a series of holes spaced at 1", 1.5" and 2" and see what you like. I settled at 1.5". You might have to lengthen your cross over line too.

Old 01-22-2012 | 09:48 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Fiero:

Here is a pic with the 3" lift and the coil relocation. I can't remember exactly who's bike this is but I do recall he had to sell it (he used to post in the Calling All Fatboy Lo Owners thread). Also, they have a military discount. PM me or email them and I, or they, will be able to tell you what it is.

Attached Thumbnails Relocating Coil on a newer 2011 type bikes?-img_2925.jpg  
Old 01-22-2012 | 09:54 AM
Fierofly
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Fiero:

Here is a pic with the 3" lift and the coil relocation. I can't remember exactly who's bike this is but I do recall he had to sell it (he used to post in the Calling All Fatboy Lo Owners thread). Also, they have a military discount. PM me or email them and I, or they, will be able to tell you what it is.
Thanks, I just went out to check for clearance and I don't have but about 1/2 with the bars turned all the way, so this mod will have to wait till I get taller bar risers.

Quick Reply: Relocating Coil on a newer 2011 type bikes?