Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price for a dyno tune!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM
partycrasher
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JC--i am in NH and have used just about every tuner in the area. I almost always take my bikes now to www.joescyclerepair.com in NY. It's abiout a 4 hour ride from here. He needs the bike for 3 days. He charges around $500 and when you get the bike back...it will have been tuned to the N-th degree. Joe leaves no stone unturned. Everything is adjusted for maximum rideability and maximum performance.

He has tuned more than 20 builds for me ranging from stock 96 motors to 103's, 120's, 131's, 120 supercharged builds.....and everything in between--and everyone was spot on.

Experience counts. 10-15 pull tunes don't flush out the facts.Most dealers use downloads and then do a quick AFR check. Your bike is pretty stock so he would probably charge you less. Get your motor mods done first!!!

If you want some detailed info on some shops--PM me your phone and i will call you. Good luck bro.

Last edited by partycrasher; 01-16-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Took my bike to a local guy in our town, charged me $200. Never felt good about the tune, ended up taking it to Victory V-Twins south of Indy (heard they were one of the best around). Rodney charged me $200, explained every detail as he tuned it, and made numerous adjustments till he got it right. What a difference, the whole experience blew the local guy away and the bike runs way better. Changed pipes out and Rodney charged $100 for the retune and the bike runs even better!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Jd Swiper
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JC, I got a guy for ya..I hear hes one of the best...They call him the Mad Scientist!! I was told you can stay right there and watch everything he does and guaranteed satisfaction..He works for this guy named Stu Klane, hes located in Norwood, Ma..Just of off 128 1-508-851-0723..the name of the company is The Harley Healer. www.theharleyhealer.com.

Call Stu and ask him about it!! I plan on going as soon as I get my Cams done!! If you want I can give him a heads up that your gonna call or you can just call him yourself..Real nice people and alot of Knowledge!!! Oh yea, I forgot to say that Stu told me depending on what your motor mods are they usually charge between $ 200-300

Last edited by Jd Swiper; 01-16-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

300 from Indy and HD Dealer in Omaha, NE.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Smorris3480
Intermediate

Okay in northeast ohio at the dealer it is 250...I have asked other riders and the dyno tech is supposedly awesome but I have a really dumb (new guy) question...I am doing a stage one on my 2012 fatboy. Do I need a tuner (fuelpak) AND a dyno tune? Or can I go with just a dyno tune? I have never gotten a straight answer about this.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Actually yes $450, does seem high, But some tuners spend a lot of time tweeking them out.
Plus I don't know if the PC takes longer to dial one in.
Our master tuner can do one in 3hrs or less using the SE tuner, As many dyno's as he's done he can tune one in pretty close really quick just cause he's done so many. Then it takes him less time for him to really dial her in...

They lowered rates last yr to $75 but I don't know if they went up Jan 1...

So even if its $80 that would be about $240..

Back in 07 the rate was @$65 per hr, and my STG1 SERT, tune took him 2 1/2 hrs. labor cost me $167.50. plus some shop chit charges. total was $180.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate all this info. Really amke my decision even harder on who to bring it to. Im sure many people will claim to be the best tuners, but there is no way to really tell whos that good unless the bike is there and im ripping on it after and feeling a noticable difference. My indy told me the guy he uses is the best in new england and that if he brought it ot someone else and i was not happy with the results it would make him look bad as a business owner and I would not be happy with the results.
But he says he'll tune it perfect and if anything goes outta wack, its a free fix.

Norwood MA is close to Boston and might be an option. I keep my bike in Meredith NH during winters because that is where a heated garage is for me and my indy lives in NH.

decision...decisions.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by partycrasher
JC--i am in NH and have used just about every tuner in the area. I almost always take my bikes now to www.joescyclerepair.com in NY. It's abiout a 4 hour ride from here. He needs the bike for 3 days. He charges around $500 and when you get the bike back...it will have been tuned to the N-th degree. Joe leaves no stone unturned. Everything is adjusted for maximum rideability and maximum performance.

He has tuned more than 20 builds for me ranging from stock 96 motors to 103's, 120's, 131's, 120 supercharged builds.....and everything in between--and everyone was spot on.

Experience counts. 10-15 pull tunes don't flush out the facts.Most dealers use downloads and then do a quick AFR check. Your bike is pretty stock so he would probably charge you less. Get your motor mods done first!!!

If you want some detailed info on some shops--PM me your phone and i will call you. Good luck bro.

I couldn't agree more. I live right there in Stillwater and he's done work for me. VERY good reputation.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
TalonIILM
Cruiser
Question Tuners and Dynos...

On the subject of tuners and dynos, I was wondering if any of the crew in the DFW area have any experience with the guys at Sabin Performance. Thanks !

Ride Safe,
TIILM

Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jcallesano
I appreciate all this info. Really amke my decision even harder on who to bring it to. Im sure many people will claim to be the best tuners, but there is no way to really tell whos that good unless the bike is there and im ripping on it after and feeling a noticable difference. My indy told me the guy he uses is the best in new england and that if he brought it ot someone else and i was not happy with the results it would make him look bad as a business owner and I would not be happy with the results.
But he says he'll tune it perfect and if anything goes outta wack, its a free fix.

Norwood MA is close to Boston and might be an option. I keep my bike in Meredith NH during winters because that is where a heated garage is for me and my indy lives in NH.

decision...decisions.
I don't know what your budgetary capabilities are, but if it was me and I still had a PC then I would take the first dyno money (plus some more I would imagine) and buy a combo speedo/tach, do the other upgrades, and then do the dyno. The difference after doing a dyno is usually notable but you aren't hurting your bike since you have put a PC on it in the first place instead of trying to run it stock so spend your money where it counts.

I would rate the difference in my case before and after a dyno when I had a PC as equal to a different cam. My dreams of big upgrades went by the wayside with the economy so I finally got smart and got a module with autotune. My big upgrade is going to be a different engine at 100k or so.

C#

Quick Reply: Price for a dyno tune!?