Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my Cobra FI2000 Autotuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Installed a Dolbech DFO/TFI a couple years ago for $75 on eBay and it also gave a nice sop improvement and motor runs cooler. If the Powerpro could tune, adjust timing, it could be worth a try. Bikes can ping with cam upgrades, bb kits, hot weather, especially with headwork and increased compression. Need more data to be convinced this tuner is for all builds as they advertise.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed it on my '12 Road King first, and it didnt work at all. Dealership is sending me another one. Its a straight forward install so you cant really go wrong. I will update when the next one comes in.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM
BlacklinePaul
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner (auto tuner) on my '11 Blackline about 4 months ago to deal with a SE Stage 1 intake and V&H ShortShots due to deceleration popping due to running leaner than stock setup. This install has virtually eliminated that issue and throttle feels more responsive. It takes the tuner roughly an hour of going through various driving scenarios (idle, city driving, country roads, freeway, redline, etc.) after install to learn the bike configuration and load.

The system appears to function as follows:

It looks like the tuner gets information on if the bike is in accel/decel by reading changes in crank position indirectly from reading timing between the electronic pulses sent to the injectors from the ECM. The Cobra tuner intercepts these signals via inline connection between ECM and injectors. Now that it knows if you are accelerating or decelerating an adjustment to the stock pulse signal is made and the modified signal is sent to the injectors. Then it receives essentially a closed loop feedback from the O2 sensors on whether that adjustment created an above or below stoich mixture and further tunes as necessary. Continually interpolating at 80 readings/sec.

I bought mine from either www.denniskirk.com or www.motorcycle-superstore.com for roughly $468. Since I don't have truck loads of money laying around to do all the modifications I want to my bike at the same time (no offense intended for those that might, school loans are a b**ch). This system was ideal because it cost the same as an SE street tuner and dyno time but I don't need to get my bike on the dyno every time I make a change. The only disadvantage was making room for a tie-in system under the seat of my bike with abs and security system, this was very tight. But I gave it the old college try and found a spot for it.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I have one for sale right now in the classifieds. It worked fine for my stage 1.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM
nickybandy
Novice
Default tuner

I put one on my 2012 fatboy an ran fine. Itook it off when i changed cams. Then i got a sert an had it dynoed If anyone wants it for $200.00 give me a message

Old 09-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Apja4
Stage I

I installed the Cobra Fi2000AT on my 2002 Road King Classic. Now it won't start and the break lights/turn signals won't work. Replaced all the fuses and still nothing. Took the Cobra off, still nothing. Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:54 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Samething happened to my Roadking. 2 years ago. They tried to tell me nothing was wrong etc.... BULLSHIT. I returned it, and sure as ****, it was a faulty unit. Cobra sucks.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:15 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a Cobra Fi2000R and Tri-Ovals on my Kawasaki. It was INSANELY loud. I bought it all from a UK dealer, who said the pipes were touring pipes and wouldn't be as loud as my V&H on the Fatboy. He also said to leave the O2 sensor connected. What a load of rubbish. The O2 sensor has to be disconnected, and an eliminator fitted, or the ECU just leans everything out again.
I think there are Cobra tuners that use the O2 sensors, although when I spoke to the guy from Cobra, he said the US spec bikes (Kawasaki anyhow) don't have O2 sensors. I wasn't that impressed with the whole Cobra experience and wouldn't go with them again. I sold all my Cobra stuff in less than a week on eBay. In fact, I can't imagine why anyone would want to run a piggy back system like the Cobra or PCV, when you can get a Power Vision, and re-flash your ECU yourself, or a SEPRT and have in dyno'd by a dealer etc. Has to be a better bet, less wires and connectors, and PCBs, which means less stuff to go wrong.
One of the things that impressed me so much with HD was they sell everything you need to modify a standard Harley. Including the SEPRT, so you don't have to mess with cheap aftermarket tuners. All manufacturers should do this. The Kawasaki is basically flawed by emission regs.