Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get rid of the pop

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
caddyman311
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get rid of the pop

So I have tried everything the forums have recommended. My current tune is pretty damn good but it pops during engine braking and throttle showboating. When I say pop, it is a little gurgling (which is fine) with a deep not very loud pop. Its not bad but its annoying and Id like to get rid of it.

i have tried:

Raising the numbers in "Decel Enleanment" = Made more deep popping

Lowering the numbers in "Decel Enleanment" = Made more deep popping

Maxed out VE numbers in the 0 throttle position between 2000-3500RPM = turned deep popping into loud gun type popping and bad *** fireballs (which was pretty damn cool)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? here is my tune:

Attached Thumbnails Cant get rid of the pop-afr.jpg   Cant get rid of the pop-decel.jpg   Cant get rid of the pop-ve-front.jpg   Cant get rid of the pop-ve-rear.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Leech1107
Tourer

I would check to see if you have any exhaust leaks first.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That popping has always been there and you won't get rid of it. When you had stock mufflers on you just couldn't hear it. Now that your exhaust is opened up more it is more pronounced. You can change maps all you want but chances are you just have to live with what is a normal condition. But as mentioned above check for a exhaust leak it the popping is really bad or a loud backfire.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you have for mods? Exaust? I have mine done with no popping backfires. Make sure the exaust is not leaking and I can help you with that.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
caddyman311
Cruiser

I am 100 percent sure I have no exhaust leak, forgot to add that. As far as engine mods, I have the kuryakyn velocity stack looking air cleaner, and my pipes are a short 2 into 1 from exotic choppers (menace model)

Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know which tuner you are using but: You have ruled out exhaust leaks.
I would bet a penny you are running to lean at 0% throttle. Add fuel at 0% throttle.... then ride it..if it still pops badly...back to the garage and add more fuel..to the 0% throttle ONLY. Don't mess with the other cells. Add more than you think you need..then ride it..if the popping goes away..and the bike only gurgles..then go back to the garage and take fuel away, from 0% throttle ONLY..a little at a time..then ride it..if still no popping,,take a little more fuel away. Do this until popping returns..then add the last bit you took away....now only gurgles. It worked on my bike,,,running PCIII with Dyno Tune...

Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also don't know which tuner you are using but with my T-Max I cut fuel 100% at zero throttle and it removed ALL decel pop.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fcsallan
I also don't know which tuner you are using but with my T-Max I cut fuel 100% at zero throttle and it removed ALL decel pop.
uh, how does that work? cutting 100% of the fuel, at zero throttle sounds to me like the engine dies everyt ime you close the throttle. does that work good for you at redlights? lol. maybe i am missing something?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

One thing that worked for me was to take a little timing out of the first two cells. It worked on my T-Max

Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselguy65
uh, how does that work? cutting 100% of the fuel, at zero throttle sounds to me like the engine dies everyt ime you close the throttle. does that work good for you at redlights? lol. maybe i am missing something?
I suspect it is a terminology difference. I agree if you remove all fuel it should die, however that is what the setting is in the T-Max software. I suspect it is fuel above idle flow. I did read that after I posted it and said to myself "how does that really work" and actually went out to the garage and loaded the software to make sure I was not off base, but yup, that's what it says. I also remembered that I did add a bit of timing at zero throttle too. Not sure now if that was for popping but it is there. Too long ago to remember all of this stuff, I'd rather just ride.

Quick Reply: Cant get rid of the pop