Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm or no alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 AM
hogster1961
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm or no alarm?

Couple of years ago I bought a 2006 Fat Boy...the bike is U.S spec as it was imported into the UK a year before I got it,the bike had two keys but no alarm fob, the P.O (who imports bikes on a regular basis) told me that a lot of U.S bikes don't have the factory immobiliser/alarm fitted as standard...he wasn't sure if my bike had the alarm module but said if it did(have a module) I would be able to get a new fob from a dealer with no problems.
It hasn't been an issue for me until now...I'm trying to sell the bike and the first "buyer" walked cos it didn't have a factory alarm.
So to my point....is it true that the alarm isn't always fitted to U.S bikes at least of that era?...how can I identify the module and should I be able to get a new fob with "no problems"?
Sorry for the long winded explanation but I wanted to get all the facts straight.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is true that not all of the bikes came with the security system. Right now with softails the security system (alarm) is bundled with ABS brakes as an option. A lot of guys don't want to pay 1200 dollars for the package when all they want is Security. If the buyer wants the alarm system you'll have to get a dealer to install it or order it and install it yourself.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good morning! My 08 Rocker has the factory alarm/FOB, but I was told it was an option (bike was on the floor with the alarm installed). I think you can have the Harley dealer check your vin number to see if it has it or I think they can add it at the dealer. I suspect your buyer wasn't that hot for it, because that is an easy thing to change if the bike really fits the bill for you. Ride safe.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogster1961
Couple of years ago I bought a 2006 Fat Boy...the bike is U.S spec as it was imported into the UK a year before I got it,the bike had two keys but no alarm fob, the P.O (who imports bikes on a regular basis) told me that a lot of U.S bikes don't have the factory immobiliser/alarm fitted as standard...he wasn't sure if my bike had the alarm module but said if it did(have a module) I would be able to get a new fob from a dealer with no problems.
Chances are you don’t have factory security installed but here is how you can easily verify it:

1.) Turn Ign Switch ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
2.) Depress the Left Turn Switch 2 times
Watch the Turn Signals: If they flash just once you don’t have security module installed. If they flash twice you do have security module installed, the US version. If the turn signals flash 3 times then you have security, the European version (US and European versions differ in FOB frequencies, US was 315MHz. EU was 434Mhz.

If you have security module then you can just buy FOBs from the dealer: for US Security the FOB P/N is 68926-00, for EU version the FOB P/N is 68927-00.

If you are lucky and have security module installed then buy the FOBs and get the Owners Manual – there are instructions how to sign the FOBs up and how to operate the system.

If you don’t have the security module installed then you can buy the module and the FOBs from the dealer and install them yourself. Again, use the Owners Manual to activate the system. On Softails the TSSM (Turn Signal Security Module) is mounted in front of the rear wheel, you’ll need to jack the bike up and drop the splash guard in order to get to the module. Just replace the module on the bike with the one you purchased from the dealer and use Owners Manual to activate it.

For Europe the TSSM is P/N 68925-00D, goes with FOBs 68926-00
For US the TSSM is P/N 68923-00D, goes with FOBs 68927-00

Good luck!

Last edited by Aborigen2; 01-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tmac00333 (01-22-2018)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
hogster1961
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Aborigen2
Chances are you don’t have factory security installed but here is how you can easily verify it:

1.) Turn Ign Switch ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
2.) Depress the Left Turn Switch 2 times
Watch the Turn Signals: If they flash just once you don’t have security module installed. If they flash twice you do have security module installed, the US version. If the turn signals flash 3 times then you have security, the European version (US and European versions differ in FOB frequencies, US was 315MHz. EU was 434Mhz.

If you have security module then you can just buy FOBs from the dealer: for US Security the FOB P/N is 68926-00, for EU version the FOB P/N is 68927-00.

If you are lucky and have security module installed then buy the FOBs and get the Owners Manual – there are instructions how to sign the FOBs up and how to operate the system.

If you don’t have the security module installed then you can buy the module and the FOBs from the dealer and install them yourself. Again, use the Owners Manual to activate the system. On Softails the TSSM (Turn Signal Security Module) is mounted in front of the rear wheel, you’ll need to jack the bike up and drop the splash guard in order to get to the module. Just replace the module on the bike with the one you purchased from the dealer and use Owners Manual to activate it.

For Europe the TSSM is P/N 68924-00D, goes with FOBs 68926-00
For US the TSSM is P/N 68923-00D, goes with FOBs 68927-00

Good luck!

Thanks Aborigen2, if I do the verification thing it won't set the alarm will it?...Don't want the bike "armed" with no way of dis-arming it!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogster1961
Thanks Aborigen2, if I do the verification thing it won't set the alarm will it?...Don't want the bike "armed" with no way of dis-arming it!
Don't you worry, even if you by any chance have security module installed the Security functions are not active, otherwise you wouldn't be able to start the bike at all.

My instructions just verify what type of module you have installed, those actions do not activate anything. To activate the security functions you'll need to first sign up FOBs, then enter PIN (this is used to disarm the system manually if your FOB fails), and then you'll need to press and hold the FOB button. Your vehicle uses the older Harley system, not the "hands-free". So, unless you have a valid FOB and you use it to arm the system it will not activate on its own.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If by chance you find out that you do have the security, there is still a good chance you don't have the optional siren. You can add the siren fairly easily.
Tom

Old 01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
If by chance you find out that you do have the security, there is still a good chance you don't have the optional siren. You can add the siren fairly easily.
Tom
Tom is correct. You very well may have a bike with the SECURITY feature but not necessarily one WITH the SIREN. The SIREN is optional and way to expensive IMHO. Several threads here on the Forum where members detail a DIY to add a Radio Shack siren for about $5 total!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 AM
11FXS
Tourer

I have an 11Blackline that didnt come with the alarm. I had the alarm put on with the optional siren when I picked the bike up...