Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much Motor oil I got out on the change

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts
Default How much Motor oil I got out on the change

There seems to be several threads a yr on how much oil to add to Ur bike when changing oils.

Just changed the oil to put our 07 Heritage up for the winter, so when I drained her, I keep the oil so I could get an accurate measurement.

It took 2 qts and 22 ozs to bring her back up to the 1/2 way between the oil stick marks.

When I checked the amount taken out it was 2Qts and 19Ozs taken out...
Well I did spill a little on the floor.

I remember the first couple changes when new, the wrench's said it takes 3 1/2 qts,,

I also put some oil in the filter before installing it, I fill it about 1/2 up to soak into the filter, then add more till the oil is level with the hole in the middle with the filter is laying on its side.. That way it wont' run out while installing it in the bike and only takes a couple of secs for the pressure to build back up.

Does this seem normal for most who change their oil.??

Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

if it calls for 3 quarts, put all three quarts in, no need to bother pouring some into the filter, don't worry about the 2 missing ounces...they were burned off.
even new motors burn some oil.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whoa hang on now, don't go pouring all 3 quarts in..because there's some oil in the bottom of the motor in the crank case..fill it up to where your oil tank looks ilke it has plenty, then start the bike and run it for a few minutes, and add oil as necessary..don't go pouring all 3 quarts in to the oil tank without starting the motor, because then you'll have too much, and oil will start spilling from the oil tank right down the side of the paint and on to the frame and all that stuff

Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
whoa hang on now, don't go pouring all 3 quarts in..because there's some oil in the bottom of the motor in the crank case..fill it up to where your oil tank looks ilke it has plenty, then start the bike and run it for a few minutes, and add oil as necessary..don't go pouring all 3 quarts in to the oil tank without starting the motor, because then you'll have too much, and oil will start spilling from the oil tank right down the side of the paint and on to the frame and all that stuff
+1 on that
I have a similar situation with the 103" on my 2005 SE Fat Boy.
The first time I changed oil and filter, about 5-1/2 years ago, it only took about 2-1/2 quarts in the oil tank. I figured it should have taken at least 3 maybe a shade more. This bothered me so I dumped the oil about 1,000 miles later. I made sure the engine was at operating temperature so the old oil would drain out better. I straddled the bike and slowly rocked it side to side to make sure I got as much as I could out. Then when I filled with new oil it only took about 2-1/2 quarts like the first time.
Now I just dump in 2 quarts when I change oil. Run the bike around the area to warm it up then top off the dip stick, which always just takes about 2-1/2 quarts total.
I did a lot of research trying to find out what was going on. All I found out is due to the design of the oil system on the Harley engine you are a lot better off running a quart low then to overfill it.
Tom

Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
What he said.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

The above 3 posts contain correct information, though I have issues with a couple of statements. However, I am no expert.

These engines keep much filthy oil in the engine. That's why the oil looks like garbage on the dip stick an hour after the change. There are scavenging systems on the market to prevent this. Are they necessary? Who knows. I hate dirty oil, though, so I am ordering one soon:

http://www.roguechopper.com/scavenger.htm

Last edited by TORQUEY; 01-09-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have been changing the oil in my 2000 Heritage going on 12 years now. I always dump all three quarts in and not once have I ever been so over filled that it came spilling out when started. It puts the level at the top of the limit. I don't feel that an ounce or two extra in the oil bag will make a big difference. It's your bike so do what makes you feel comfortable, I'm just saying I have never had an issue dumping all three in the bag.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
The above 3 posts contain correct information, though I have issues with a couple of statements. However, I am no expert.

These engines keep much filthy oil in the engine. That's why the oil looks like garbage on the dip stick an hour after the change. There are scavenging systems on the market to prevent this. Are they necessary? Who knows. I hate dirty oil, though, so I am ordering one soon:

http://www.roguechopper.com/scavenger.htm

On all my bikes, and my friends have done on their bikes, we've all never had a reason to take the oil from the crank case (which is what the scavenger does)..theoretically it's good to put 100% new oil in, but really, it's not necessary. You can also do it without the scavenger.. just keep the old oil filter installed. Do all the other processes (disconnect the oil return line in to a bucket, run the motor, replace as needed, etc).. stand the bike up straight and you can remove the old oil filter without dumping all the new oil out all over the place, then just put your new oil filter on, and you've got 100% new oil.. too much work for what it's worth though..

Old 01-09-2012, 06:26 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sanford
well i have been changing the oil in my 2000 heritage going on 12 years now. I always dump all three quarts in and not once have i ever been so over filled that it came spilling out when started. It puts the level at the top of the limit. I don't feel that an ounce or two extra in the oil bag will make a big difference. It's your bike so do what makes you feel comfortable, i'm just saying i have never had an issue dumping all three in the bag.
I agree with you Sanford. Most folks I know do the three quart fill-up. That includes some in the filter...when I put it in the filter. I do the three quart deal and have always done it without incident. A 30 year tech who I fully trust gave me that advice day one. So...to each his own I guess. Good luck what ever way you do it.

Woody

Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

You're close. You actually only need 3 qts with a filter. I dump 2 1/2, start it and check for leaks, turn it off and top off cold to within a 1/8" of full. At 200 degrees it will be at full. Get 4 just in case you need to top off between changes. That made the wrench an extra 10 spot. It actually says that in my manual however. I have all the original paper work on the changes original owner did on mine ever 3 months and they were charging him for 6 SYN 3's for engine/transmission and 1 formula + for primary

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: How much Motor oil I got out on the change