Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Seat Combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:22 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Handlebar Seat Combo

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. I ride an '03 Fatboy. I recently had the misfortune of having somebody back into it in my apartment complex parking lot. It did $2300 worth of damage to it. It was their fault and their insurance is covering it.

It actually did less damage to it then I thought it would. One of the things it did damage was the handlebars. Therefore, I thought I might try a different style, one that would be a little more comfortable. As it is now, my lower back starts aching after about 125-150 miles.

I thought about getting the Heritage Classic bars along with a deep-bucket Sundowner seat. However, I talked to a guy who rides a Classic, and he has the same lower back problems. I also saw a posting here where the poster has added 2 inch risers to his Classic bars, which might be ideal.

I would really like a Mustang seat w/backrest but 500 bucks is a little a little out of my price range right now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

bfrmama

p.s. no need to answer quickly, I'm waiting a year and a day to get my painted parts from Harley!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Handlebar Seat Combo

Welcome to the forum.. I'm new too and in the short time I've been here I've seen TONS of threads about handlebar choices and seats.. Probably the two first things to change because seats and bars are all personal choices and riding style and comfort.

I can tell you my experience on my 04 fatboy...
The stock bars did kill me.. lower back fatigue.. from the leaning position of the lower bars and I'm 6' tall. I could only imagine what a real tall guy would experience but I am long waisted.

So, I swapped to stock Heritage bars and the bike is pretty comfy. The stock seat is a butt KILLER, hard as a freakin' rock! I bought a solo lapera that I didn't realize pushes me too forward so I'm going to have to sell it .. Nice Gel version. (IT WILL BE POSTED SOON GUYS BUT FEEL FREE TO ASK).. I have to get the model no. and take some pics.. good seat for someone not quite 6' tall or shorter legs.

Anyway, so I'm still on the stock seat with the heritage bars... Feels great on the back despite the numb butt from the stock fatboy seat. One thing to help is to not sit perfectly still like a statue when you ride.. move the butt around a little to keep the blood flowing. Pulling the bars back a little also will help if a laid back position is easier on your back. I started with the bars completely parallel with the forks, then pulled them back to get to the perfect spot. Touch the toes a bit also to loosen things up before you ride also.

On Mustangs.. I'm interested in them too.. but they do appear pricey but I'm told they're quite comfy and very good quality. Mustang, Corbin, LePera I guess are the biggest names, along with H-D's own aftermarkets that are probably better than stock.

The short version: Getting those low wide bars off the bike will be the first step in back relief.. My opinion.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

The combo I have on my Night Train is SUPER comfortable:

BAR Industries Hitchhiker Plain seat and HD mini-apes off a 2002 Wide Glide. This combo puts me in the perfect position for daylong riding, and the seat is incredibly comfortable with a high back/deep bucket, lumbar support and "Millenium Foam" (memory foam) on the driver's portion. Check out the pic below to see the seat. I will be posting pics of the bike with the mini-apes within the next couple of days, so you'll be able to see what it all looks like.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Name:  NTRightSideNewSeat.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  56.8 KB

Old 07-28-2005, 03:03 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 05 Fat Boy and was uncomfortable with the stock bars.
They used to put me in position that made my forearms and lower back hurt.

I changed the bars to Wild Ones FLSTF bars with internal wiring and its very comfortabled now.

Check out the Wild Ones web site they have pictures of all the bars on different bikes and if you call them they will give you suggestions based on height and rideing style.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 PM
wmiconi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the biggest set of apes, take some advil or perocet and ride all the time. JOKE!

This post is not helping with your situation. Yet

I just bought a set of 14 inch apes (which are small) after my HD parts guy measured where my arms would be if the were just below my shoulder line. If the bars are low you will have hurts ( is that a word) in the lower back like the rice burners. To high and your hands and arms can go numb, especially if they are above your shoulders. I wanted 18 bars but was talked out of if by everyone that was shorter then 6'5.

As far a butt buckets, I am in the market for a low profile comfortable seat. That may be an oxymoron.

Good luck and welcome!

W

Old 07-29-2005, 08:55 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

Though you may not be able to spend the $$ on a Mustang right now, I'd recommend it whenever you can. Added a Mustang with rider backrest, 2 1/2" risers and Heritage bars, and my '02 Fat Boy rides like an altogether different bike. Much less shoulder fatigue and much more comfortable on longer rides.

Old 07-30-2005, 02:45 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info everybody. Right now, I'm leaning toward getting the Heritage bars.

I checked out the Wild 1 website. Their bars do look awesome. By the way, here's the url - http://www.wild1inc.com/ (I tried wildones.com but it took me to a site that, let's just say, didn't have anything to do with handlebars).

I am jones'n for that Mustang seat though. Maybe I'll put one on layaway. That's the good thing about the local Harley shop, they have a good layaway policy - they'll take all the money you're willing to give 'em!

bfrmbama

p.s. My fender is still in Wisconsin...