Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 1992 Softail 6speed 1340cc

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM
GHOSTS
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 1992 Softail 6speed 1340cc

Hi all im new to this forum. But reading heaps of info on here.

Heres my situation I have just had a Harley past down to me and its been sitting in the garage for over 10 years and been used about a dozen times.

So here's my problem it starts up every time when riding slow around 40km its fine but when I open it up it shuts down and engine stops, i wait 20 sec then starts back up again run's and sounds good then open it up and stops, i cant work the thing out and im going crazy i spent the last 3 weeks trying to work it out.

Here's what of done.

New Battery,

Cleaned the fuel tanks,line and filter.Clean the tank caps vents there seems to be no vacuum on the petcock or fuel tank but its never been a problem before.

Mikuni HSR Carbi ,Cleaned carbi every thing seems to be working or it wont start and run for 10 mins, 2 full turns out with the pilot jet spring screw. Does the vacuum at the back only connect to the butterfly of the hypercharger.

KaN hypercharger filter cleaned and oil (I connected the vacuum of the carbi to the butterflys is this right)

theres spark from both the plugs and fires up always.

new 30amp

everything seems earthed and lights all work.

Please help I dont know what else to do.

Thanks Rick

Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
str8jacket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be the vacuum diaphragm on the fuel petcock. Have you tested the fuel flow through the petcock?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM
GHOSTS
Novice

hi not sure what you mean but i dont think there is a vacuum on the petcock
the way the tank is set up is.

Left tank has one of the single hose petcock on the bottom and on the top is a hose that runs to the right tank.

The right tank has the drain part in the bottom which goes to the other tank to fill it up and has an other top hose which i think is over flow hose.

I cant find any vacuum diaphragm on the fuel petcock this is the petcock i have

http://www.british-customs.com/pingl...l-petcock.html

how can i check it, all i know theres fuel going to the fuel bowl in the carbi.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Main jet plugge
d up? Or an intake leak?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 PM
roaddog rhody
Cruiser

Fuel lines are collapsing. Replace from tank to petcock and petcock to Carb.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with roaddog, I'd replace the fuel lines. If that doesn't work, keep the choke pulled out with (manually with your hand) and see if it will stay running. If this is that case, the main jet would be clogged OR it could be as simple as your choke going back in as soon as you crank it. Mine did this, and it would not stay out as soon as the engine started, and it would die.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 PM
GHOSTS
Novice

Thank you all for your quick reply

im going to get some new hose now and get that one of the list.

I will try the choke thing also.

how do i check if main jet is clogging when i did the carbi with carbi cleaner i checked the main jet and there was a clean hole in there is there something else to look for.

I Also read up, does anyone think it could be.

Ignition switch,Coil heating up
or an over heating thing which is breaking the circuit amp and waiting for it to reset.

How can i check these things. The harley store here does not look at old softail anymore only new ones.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Johneblast
Advanced
Default Sounds similar...

...I have a Buell Blast that I commute on and when I first bought it, used, I drove it 5 miles (ten minutes or so) from the guys driveway and just as I was about to bang 5th gear, it died. I waited for a few minutes and it started up only to have it do it again. The ignition. While I was at it replacing the ignition, I tested the coil and found it not putting out enough. Replaced both and haven't had any more issues. I'd say, since it has been sitting around for 10 years, start looking deep into electrical parts and start replacing as they don't fair well being idle for long periods of time. Hoses as well. This all, of course, depending on the environment that the bike was kept in.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Johneblast
Advanced

Forgot to mention, have you a multimeter?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 AM
GHOSTS
Novice

ok i got some new fuel hose but not installed it yet just did a test with manifolds I sprayed carbi cleaner on the left side of the bike manifold going into the engine, when i did this the motor slowed down and almost stalled after 10sec when back to running normall is this a leak i thought it should run faster by spaying the carbi cleaner if there a hole?

Also i did the choke test i had the bike running in idol and pulled the choke out and it did nothing does this mean something also?

Johneblast how do i test the coil please i have a voltmeter like this in the first pic is it ok if so what should i do to check it please

http://hometools.onsugar.com/Digital...meter-13149930

Quick Reply: Help 1992 Softail 6speed 1340cc