Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering a 49 State Bike in Cali

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Mike
Thank you all. I spoke with a very personable and humorous lady in the DMV Technical Office. She confirmed exactly what you all stated here. A 49 State bike can be registered in Ca as long as it has 7,500 miles or more.

That certainly opens up a lot of possibilities for me.

Thank you.

Mike
A humorous lady at the DMV? Maybe humorless? I have run into the latter more than the former. SJ Ron

Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a California Smog License.

No smog inspections are presently required for motorcycles.

In general, if you are a current resident of California, the 7,500 mile rule applies.

There are some exceptions:

If you are a resident of another state and are moving to California and already own a Motorcycle that has less than 7,500 miles and is currently registered in your name and to your address in the state you are moving from, you are OK.

If you are military and are moving to California at the request of Uncle Sam and already own a Motorcycle that has less than 7,500 miles you are OK.

If you are a resident of California and are out of state when your present vehicle is destroyed in an accident (that occurs while out of state) while on your trip, you can purchase a non-California vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on it and bring it into California on your return.

I think there are one or two more but the circumstances are pretty obscure and involve far more trouble than they are worth to try and simulate unless you really do meet the qualifications.

Just a word of Caution: Odometer fraud, if you are caught, is a really big No $hit $herlock deal. It is probably not a risk I'd want to run. Although the risk is small the downside is really Really REALLY bad!

Last edited by Bluehighways; 01-07-2012 at 01:25 AM.