Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Springer or Deluxe?
Put a Springer front end on a Deluxe.
15.38%
Put a Deluxe paint job on a Springer.
50.00%
Screw it, buy a Road King.
34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Time to buy a Softail, got some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Time to buy a Softail, got some questions...

..... and need some opinions.

I am in currently in the market for a used Softail. I had planned to sell my Dyna and buy a new 2112 Deluxe but I would just be loosing too much money on the deal, so I am going to add a used Softail to the stable. The black and white Deluxe is absolutely my favorite production motorcycle the MOCO makes, but I have always been a Springer fan. The only answer that will ever make me happy is a combination of the two..... which does not exist. So, here's the sixty four thousand dollar question. Do I buy a used black and white Deluxe and install a Springer front end on it, OR do I buy a Heritage Springer and paint the tins in the black and white Deluxe theme???

I have been mulling this over for a couple days and in reality the price and effort isn't that far apart. Pulling all the sheet metal and having a shop duplicate a Deluxe paint job is a lot of work and isn't cheap. Used Springer front ends can be bought on ebay, and all I would have to do is paint the front fender to match.

Please give me some ideas on what directions makes the most sense. I really hope to have a bike by February at the latest, before the Spring prices start to rise. Paint the Springer or add a Springer to a Deluxe.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-05-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:34 PM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say leave your options open if you're looking for a used bike. See what deal pops up and go from there. As soon as you decide which bike you absolutely have to have......the exact opposite will show up in a great deal. Trust me...been there, done that.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had just put a chromed dual disk frontend on my FXSTC and then HD offered a bolt on springer front end.

I almost swapped for the springer, but the early versions looked almost dirt bike style with a huge gap between the tire and fender.

I'd either go for the springer or add a springer to the deluxe.
Just keep your eyes open for a deal on either. Best deal wins.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough one, I've always liked the springer, but then I fell in love with the deluxe and when I was searching for a bike this past fall, I found the best deal on the deluxe so I bought it. I've thought about this swap myself, but if you bought the lux and put the springer front end on, wouldn't you have to buy brakes, wheel/tire, risers and handle bars etc? I'm thinking I read the riser width or something is different on the springer front end so the oem lux stuff wouldn't swap over to a springer front end? That could be all wrong, just throwing it out there for thought and consideration. I actually threw my idea out the window and am gathering parts to chrome out the lux front end. I really like the massive chrome tins around the trees etc. If I could throw a nacelle on there I would and will in the future.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:00 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I guess it really depends on your priorities. If cost is your highest priority, doing the Deluxe paint scheme on a Heritage Springer would be the least expensive way to go. The Deluxe paint scheme should only run $1500 to $2000. Even if you don't want to do the R&R to the tins yourself, it shouldn't run more than $500 in labor at a shop.

That should be an awesome looking ride when you're done with it!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at ebay and craigslist for some time and hope to find the right deal soon. Based on what I am finding, the Springer is looking more practical at this point as I can get a much better deal on an older one than the Deluxe. 2005 seems to be the oldest Deluxe while the Heritage Springer goes back many more years. Like was said, I will leave my options open.....

Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Deluxe paint scheme on a Heritage Springer. At least then, you know what you're getting into.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Buy a Heritage Springer. 97-03.... Plain and Simple...........

Last edited by hspring03; 01-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I agree with finding a nice Heritage springer and painting it.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,637 Likes on 2,532 Posts

No brainer. You will have less possible issues if you paint the Springer.

However.....

The Deluxe is the best lookin', most elegant bike that the Dave makes. If it were me, I would go Deluxe & keep the front end, but that's just me. Never been a fan of the springer.

And, for God's sake--don't ruin it with a 21" front tire & cholos.

Quick Reply: Time to buy a Softail, got some questions...