Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen passing light reflectors.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 PM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Halogen passing light reflectors.

My 2004 Heritage has sealed beam lamps in the 4" passing light housings. I would like to install H1 or H3 halogen lamps but cannot find 4" reflector units to fit.

Can anyone direct me to a resource for these units?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Just peel off the rubber on the back of the stock lamps and put in a 55W H3 bulb. You can get them at any auto parts store. They are "sealed" but can be unsealed. That is what I did and they are plenty bright. Also, take the diffuser off your headlight if you still have the stock headlight and it will get much brighter. The diffuser is what covers the front of the bulb.

Everyone who rides with me always comments on how bright my lights are. Being seen is one third of the battle when riding in congested city traffic. Being heard is another third, and being able to ride without getting run over or cutoff is the final third. Granted there are numerous factors beyond my control here, I seem to do a pretty decent job of it on a daily basis.

Drew

Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Just peel off the rubber on the back of the stock lamps and put in a 55W H3 bulb. You can get them at any auto parts store. They are "sealed" but can be unsealed. That is what I did and they are plenty bright.

Drew
Are you sure you're referring to the Passing Lights/Running Lamps/Spot lamps, rather than your Headlight? I've been looking for Xenon Running lights with a color temp around 6000k but haven't found anything. As you can see from the pic below, a "sealed unit" cannot be opened. If you have a different set up that can accept an H3 bulb, please advise where we can get them. I found a Xenon H4 with color temp of 5800k for my Headlight but would like my passing lamps to match.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 PM
BrianG
Tourer

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Are you sure you're referring to the Passing Lights/Running Lamps/Spot lamps, rather than your Headlight? I've been looking for Xenon Running lights with a color temp around 6000k but haven't found anything. As you can see from the pic below, a "sealed unit" cannot be opened. If you have a different set up that can accept an H3 bulb, please advise where we can get them. I found a Xenon H4 with color temp of 5800k for my Headlight but would like my passing lamps to match.
Exactly what I was talking about Rich.

My passing lamps are identical to those above, and certainly not "unsealable".

As an aside, there are sealed-unit halogen lamps available in this PAR 36 configuration, for aircraft landing light application (4509Q @100W), but that's not what I am after (this time )

................ Also, take the diffuser off your headlight if you still have the stock headlight and it will get much brighter. The diffuser is what covers the front of the bulb.e..................

Drew
Drew, does removing the diffuser not eliminate the low beam cut-off?
I don't like the idea of blasting oncoming night traffic with an open reflector and over-powered lamp.

Last edited by BrianG; 01-05-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Big H
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I believe the problem is looking for 4-inch lamps. Passing lamps on HDs are 4-1/2-inch. You can find unsealed units directly from the HD catalog and aftermarket sources like Kuryakyn and Adjure.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
BrianG
Tourer

Originally Posted by Big H
I believe the problem is looking for 4-inch lamps. Passing lamps on HDs are 4-1/2-inch. You can find unsealed units directly from the HD catalog and aftermarket sources like Kuryakyn and Adjure.
Thanks BigH you are correct. The lamps are PAR 36 which is 4.5".

That should make things easier!~

Last edited by BrianG; 01-06-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 AM
havenolife
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think 04 and earler use sealed beam 05 up the bulb is replacable

Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by havenolife
I think 04 and earler use sealed beam 05 up the bulb is replacable

The "sealed beam" bit is a crock. Peel the rubber backing off and replace the bulbs.

Drew

Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 AM
BrianG
Tourer

The "sealed beam" bit is a crock. Peel the rubber backing off and replace the bulbs.

Drew
Drew, have a look at the picture in post #3 of this thread.

Please point out the "rubber backing" you speak of.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Big H
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That particular model lamp is actually "sealed" and there is no way in hell that you can change the bulb. The lamps Dr. V-Twin is referring to have replaceable bulbs, but the factory glues a rubber seal around them so they appear unserviceable. With the rubber backing pulled free, the bulbs can be swapped to any number of kelvin ratings, wattage, or colors.

Quick Reply: Halogen passing light reflectors.