Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronics for a Reckless Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012 | 06:53 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
|
Road Master
Default Electronics for a Reckless Fairing

I'm about to order a Reckless Fairing for my 07 Fatboy but I don't want to buy one of the stereo included version, I'd like to put my own together but I've not had much experience with marine electronics. I'm thinking about the following components

1) Sony DSX-MS60 Receiver, I know it won't play CD's but it will run any type of iPod along with Aux inputs and a USB port, SAT radio and HD radio
2) Pair of 6.5 in. Polk MM6501 Marine speakers.
3) $30.00 Reckless will add a cigarette lighter (for 12V power outlet-GPS Recievers ect.) do you think that's necessary.
All the wire, terminal blocks and crimp/solder lugs I have or can buy at the hardware store.

Any advice before I order this stuff? If you've put one together, watched someone work on one........any advice is welcome. If you have experience with other components let me know.

Old 01-03-2012 | 08:19 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member

I got the 12v in mine. Never use it but would rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. Plus if I really needed to I could charge my phone or iPod

You won't need a marine stereo if you buy the cover

Old 01-03-2012 | 09:13 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain

I am running the standard version of that sony in my woodys fairing and love it. I had a cd player first and found with the b motor you can not play a cd, to much vibration at cruising speeds. I did 1500 miles in the rain and never had a issue with mine. Although I am not sure how reckless mounts their stereos and if they have a splash gaurd on the inside. I installed all of my own wiring as well easy to solder. I also have a 12 volt outlet and have never used it. The only reason I did get it was the year before I was on a trip and forgot the cell phone charger and the local cell store only had car chargers in stock for my phone, luckly a few of the guys I ride with have baggers so it worked out. So get it for the small charge it will pay for itself some day. Buddy has the polk speakers on his RK and they sounded good. Would be worth it to check out woodysfairings as well.

Old 01-03-2012 | 09:22 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

You might want to consult the touring forums for this as there are numerous people there with much more audio experience than in the softail section. It sounds like it will rock to me, but dig a little deeper.

Drew

Old 01-03-2012 | 10:23 PM
Raddazzz
Road Captain

I bought a reckless fairing last summer and put on my 97 heritage. I used 6.5 jenson marine speakers, jvc car stereo unit and a spash guard to cover it. I bought the jvc unit because it came with a key chain remote I attached below my throttle so I could control the volume without taking my hands off the bars. Put a universal antena inside the fairing it works really well.