Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9.25" Russ Wernimont Rear Fender Has Begun!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that the mock up is done and tailight system decided, time to think pipes. Samsons' black 36" mini cholos, 33 or 30"-2.25" or 3" muffler true duals....hmmm. Gut is telling me 30" to go lil past the fender where it still will look good with or without RK bags....I am pretty sure 33" will do that gauging between pics. Oh and no fishtails...just a clean 1-2" chrome tip to match the front rings.

Last edited by Josewales; 01-04-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Night_Train
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im subscribed....cant wait to see this all together

Question for you, I was on the Russ Weirmont site and his widest fender is saying 9 1/8", you have plenty of wheel clearance with the 200 tire?

Last edited by Night_Train; 01-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Night_Train
im subscribed....cant wait to see this all together

Question for you, I was on the Russ Weirmont site and his widest fender is saying 9 1/8", you have plenty of wheel clearance with the 200 tire?
I got Randy from RSD to custom strut width to 9.25". I haven't visited the site lately, but they stated the 9 1/4" was an error on their site...where 9" is their dye mold width. What they did was split one down the middle, which I assumed was a 10" and charged dealership price for the 9". FYI my shop told me it's not done quite perfect and a lil tweaking needed during fitting, but not noticeable by the eye..only fitting is slightly off by a milometer or so.

And yes... same clearance to stock. The pics shown here are mocked to make sure my detachables still fit...at the same time can lower it with shotguns or progressives. The final mock, they were able to keep all this in mind and bring it more to axle height. Lots of room to drop the fender more if I didn't care about the other factors.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Josewales; 01-05-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Night_Train
Road Master

yep.....that clears it right up

Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Dammit!!!!

I am at a big crossroads deciding what direction to take concerning 'to bag or not to bag'. After browsing hogdeluxe's site and see the hard leather rocker arm bag, it got me thinking that maybe I shouldn't bag w/ duals. The V&H big radius that I have on now I still think goes well with the bikes lines and flow. Place the lisence plate on the axle and use the rocker arm bag can balance out the look of both sides and still be able to pack clean gotch and beer for overnighters.

I have to make this decision soon before the fender is done.

Feedback I will pay money for

Cheers.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Night_Train
Road Master

someone on the HDF board makes quick detach trunks. get where you are going and leave it in the hotel room. Can still use the swingarm bag with it..... personally I have the quick detach tall crossbones sissy bar and attach a stick bag to it and use the swingarm bag when traveling. That'll be $1000 USD LOL

Last edited by Night_Train; 01-05-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Night_Train
someone on the HDF board makes quick detach trunks. get where you are going and leave it in the hotel room. Can still use the swingarm bag with it..... personally I have the quick detach tall crossbones sissy bar and attach a stick bag to it and use the swingarm bag when traveling. That'll be $1000 USD LOL
How about a 'real' beer made by Canada instead?

But ya I already got throw over bags and sissy bar bags for long trips. I do a lot of day rides in the summer and hit the gym at nights...RK bags would be ideal for hopping on and go! But the swing arm bag could do the trick also without throwing on the sissy.

If they can make this bag without the weave and keep it clean...it's hard not to consider this option and keep the fender clean.

Here is the swing arm bag...

Last edited by Josewales; 01-05-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Personally, having had both of the style of bags that you are considering, I would do the swing arm bag if you are more concerned about looks, the RK bags if you are more concerned about functionality.

It was nice having the RK bags to go shopping and such, but they really took away from the looks of the rear of the bike in my opinion which is why I eventually took them off. The solo saddelbag was a great option as well and looked great with the style of bike I have.

I don'rt run either anymore and will do a backpack if I have to carry enough stuff. I have a t bag for trips that goes on my sissy bar and a roll bag for the bars in case it is needed. I really dig the stripped down look much more.

Bagging the bike is not inexpensive and I would think hard before deciding which route to go as you can do a roll bag on the bars too for your gym stuff. But if it were me I would start with the solo saddlebag and see how that works for starters.

Drew

Old 01-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Thanx Drew for feedback!

Rocker arm bag option means, I can start looking at shotguns sooner. My budget for the next couple months had duals and RK bags targeted. And I know, if I choose later on to switch to bagging...at least my garage is full of options for the mood.

Edit...

Hogdeluxe just called back and said they can easily get rid of the weave on their products to go with the Lo's simple clean look. Groovy.

Last edited by Josewales; 01-05-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Well since I am not bagging now and game plan is in stone...shotgun shocks have been ordered! My account is crying the blues but oh well....it was planned for eventually.

Should have them in the shop before all is thrown back together for the finish line.

Quick Reply: 9.25" Russ Wernimont Rear Fender Has Begun!