Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring for high bars on a blackline

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
hddee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring for high bars on a blackline

can you buy 6" wiring extenstions for the 2011 blackline as they have changed to different plugs again or do you cut and solder the wires. to move the blinkers from the handle bars to the fork tubes is that a cut and solder job as well.my 07 standard was so much easier for parts

Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 AM
xjayx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just cut and soldered my wires when I did my apes and moved my blinkers, It works really well no extra connecters in the bars. I think a solder joint is more secure than a connector in the bar that you cant get to.

Jay

Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

Can someone explain how to get the turn signal wires out of the wire bundle jacket once their unplugged? Do you just snip the ends and pull the wires like a ***** to get them outta there or is there some gentle persuasion involved?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:05 AM
hddee
Advanced

Originally Posted by xjayx
I just cut and soldered my wires when I did my apes and moved my blinkers, It works really well no extra connecters in the bars. I think a solder joint is more secure than a connector in the bar that you cant get to.

Jay
thanks again jay i will check it out

Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option, if you can't find extensions, is to take apart the stock connectors yourself (the dealer sells the pins) and add longer wires. The clips are simple to disassemble, and IMO its a much cleaner setup than cut and solder.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the standard 12" bagged extension kit from HD or aftermarket and cut to length and solder. Those connectors do not like to be pulled through bars and could break doing so, had it happen before. The soldered connection is just as strong as the wire. Just make sure you stagger the joints by min 3/4" to avoid the big "blockage" of heat shrink. Then heat shrink the whole assembly after - but I'm sure you did that on your old bike. Also it is nice to find a matching wire colour kit - makes for a quicker install. Not sure if they changed plugs on yours but that shouldn't matter. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Cut and solder may not be the easiest way to do it, but it is the cheapest and arguably the best way to make small connections that easily fit inside the bars.
Done right they are virtually bulletproof and totally immune to the kind of poor or bad connection problems water/corrosion can cause in connectors that will give you fits trying to figure out and fix later on.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ml#post3307100

Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the new softails starting in 2011 using the Can-Bus system which is only one wire on each side?

Drew

Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the new softails starting in 2011 using the Can-Bus system which is only one wire on each side?
Drew
True, although there are more than you would think. From the wiring diagram, I see CAN High, CAN Low, Ground, Battery Fuse, and an additional Engine Stop in the right side.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 PM
hddee
Advanced

Originally Posted by jreichart
Another option, if you can't find extensions, is to take apart the stock connectors yourself (the dealer sells the pins) and add longer wires. The clips are simple to disassemble, and IMO its a much cleaner setup than cut and solder.
the plugs are not the same as previous years and are not as easy to pull those pins out.they are a new type and alot hell of alot smaller to do anything with cause they have to fit through that hole in the bottom of the bars and for some reason i cant see hd having pins for them yet when we are flat out just getting simple parts from them to do some minor mods they just seem like they made the bike and thats it.so im hoping im wrong.i have looked at some of the fxs blackline spare parts and to me they dont look like the usual good quality genuine harley stuff to me.sorry for getting off track but i have already looked at the plugs.and thanks for the reply it is appreciated

Quick Reply: wiring for high bars on a blackline