Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce Wins!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice find and good color, welcome another one to our ranks

Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
elkhunter719
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
That's a great find..

Is she carbed or EFI.?

U didn't mention if she has fresh oils in her, if not, that would be first on the change list.
Also take a good look at the tires, 8yrs they may be cracking, so be careful on those, May need to put some new ones on.

She looks great, just make sure she's 100% safe to let her rip..

Then let the mods begin.....
This one is EFI. I checked motor oil prior to driving off, clear and no unusual smell. Same thing when I parked her when I got home, no difference, no milky look or other evidence of breakdown or moisture. Tires still looked new, still had nubs on front and rear and I did check for cracking pretty thoroughly as that was one of my first thoughts and I did not want to drive it on the i-state with cracks or dry rot. One of the guys at work says he can decode the tires for build date and he will verify but they seemed soft and ply-able. I plan to bring her in for complete fluid change at 500 miles just to make sure. That is something I will probably do myself but I don't have the SM yet, but I have been looking for it on ebay. Nada. I also could not believe it only had that few miles but I crawled all under, around and over it looking for 'lies' about her age when I first saw it and there were just no tell tail signs. I could also tell no one had detailed the sh-t out of her because there was still that sitting around dust that gets on things when they haven't been used for a while. I got a copy of first title issued to original owner and obviously her transfer title to the guy I bought her from. Everything matched perfectly. Absolutely no sign of wreck or salvage she runs true and straight down the road, no creaks, rattles, shakes, unusual noise. Tranny seems to be smooth and tight, no lash or creep. Clutch and brakes again just like they came from the factory. Lastly not a lick of rust anywhere and I don't care how good you are at cleaning it up even the best bike around here that has been driven and washed will have a little place on her somewhere with a spot of rust. Not on this one. I went over it with a fine tooth comb this AM. Just feel lucky as hell and going to get a couple of lottery tickets tomorrow!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 PM
elkhunter719
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grf000
I doubt you will have any gasket problems. Been into my 04 both sides. These original gaskets are sealed one side (and stuck good) See my album for popping my cam chain cover. When I was in primary I checked the rubber lip seal that keeps engine oil from getting into primary behind alternator. Still soft and flexible. That's a myth about gasket drying out on something as new as an 04. They are all synthetic. Non maintenance ones are 3 layers. Gasket material on each side of a metal layer. Good stuff. Even the maintenance ones are reusable as long as you are careful to not index them or over tighten them. You first PM you do you should probably replace them however. It's real easy replacing a odometer head and I find it hard to believe mileage but you checked. In my state yearly inspection would probably throw up red flags with dmv if someone did alter it here. New 04 --too cool.
Thanks for the reassurance about the gaskets, but lets face it....... this is a Harley!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:17 PM
lastson
Tourer

Great choice, welcome to the as the one dude said the Deuce Bag club lol

Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Fantastic find, congrats! That bike looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor, like no time has passed. With that low mileage it's technically new.
Ride & enjoy that Deuce, they hate to sit idle.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great choice on the deuce! I know i love mine...theres a lot of deuce haters out there but thye are by far the nicest...

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 AM
elbohead
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the Deuce. It's got that classic '70s Harley look (IMO). I almost bought one but in the end chose the Deluxe. Congrats...nice find!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats! I miss my purple '02 and the new owner isn't far, been spotted a few times.

Enjoy!