Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

from efi to carb 2012 (103")

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Lets face it. The higher tech we get with anything, the harder it is to work on. I have ridden 65,000 miles on carbed Harleys, and never once had to clean a carb. I have pulled the bowl off and changed jets, and I did that without removing the carb on the last two. When the electronic ign. module went bad on my 84 Sportster, I changed it out for points and condenser. Rode it another 20,000 miles without changing the points or condenser, it ran better, and I could fix it if it did give trouble.

The later EVO carbs deal with altitude as good as anything out there. Not that I will ever own a bike with EFI, but I like being able to fix my own. I don't think I will ever get rid of my 99 Softail Custom. I love the unbalanced carbed EVO solid mounted motor to much.

So, I can understand anybody wanting to change to a carb from EFI. Makes perfect sense to me. Oh, and I was an electronics tech for many years.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Lets face it. The higher tech we get with anything, the harder it is to work on. I have ridden 65,000 miles on carbed Harleys, and never once had to clean a carb. I have pulled the bowl off and changed jets, and I did that without removing the carb on the last two. When the electronic ign. module went bad on my 84 Sportster, I changed it out for points and condenser. Rode it another 20,000 miles without changing the points or condenser, it ran better, and I could fix it if it did give trouble.

The later EVO carbs deal with altitude as good as anything out there. Not that I will ever own a bike with EFI, but I like being able to fix my own. I don't think I will ever get rid of my 99 Softail Custom. I love the unbalanced carbed EVO solid mounted motor to much.

So, I can understand anybody wanting to change to a carb from EFI. Makes perfect sense to me. Oh, and I was an electronics tech for many years.
Hear, hear! I'll never sell my '97 Heritage Springer, and my next bike is going to be a carb'd EVO Road King. I'm just looking for a clean, low mileage bike. I love the sound of the carb'd engines, and I love being to tune them myself. Some of the new bikes are nice, but having to have someone tune it when you add mods, and revving way up at startup and idling like they do just doesn't work for me...

Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DyNaBoB
oh and read up on it here

http://www.amm.haan.de/P3/default.htm

Thats pretty freakin cool @ $650 US dollars

Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe What
Thats pretty freakin cool @ $650 US dollars

It is cool, but the Thunderheart Ignition that basically does the same thing can be had for less than $300.00.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by mauro71
someone has done the efi to carb conversion on the new 2012 models?
I would to install on my deluxe mikuni carb 42, what do you think about?
First thing that comes to my mind I (DumbA$$)

If U want a carbed bike,, then buy one made that way....

Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct1949
First thing that comes to my mind I (DumbA$$)

If U want a carbed bike,, then buy one made that way....
Read the thread, then make you 2cents comment. It's about the OP and his area of the world he lives in. It's not in the states where most things are a quick trip to or an overnight delivery. In his country things are much harder to find let alone finding a place to wrench on them.

It's like what was said before, most carb'd issues can be fixed rather quickly and cheaply whereas FI is much more complicated throwing injectors, sensors, and computers into the mix. Now your talking scanners, and other misc tools to do most tuning work.

Yes, buying a carb'd bike might be the easier I agree but different strokes for different folks...

Last edited by TIPN8R; 01-04-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM
mauro71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft

your words are perfect.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
mauro71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I discover this:
http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/th...acement/Detail

are there others sellers with a better price???

Quick Reply: from efi to carb 2012 (103")