Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T Max Thundermax auto tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default T Max Thundermax auto tune

Hey guys,I have bean looking around to find whats the best for my bike as far as the tuner go,I know there is a few good units out there but i kind of like the T max the best IMO,let me know what you think,and how happy you are with yours.I kind of like the idea of not taking my bike to the dyno for every mode i made on it.
I think over time is gonna pay for it self.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:43 PM
eleft
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sash302
Hey guys,I have bean looking around to find whats the best for my bike as far as the tuner go,I know there is a few good units out there but i kind of like the T max the best IMO,let me know what you think,and how happy you are with yours.I kind of like the idea of not taking my bike to the dyno for every mode i made on it.
I think over time is gonna pay for it self.
Is the 2011 TMax available, due have the small o2 sensors.

I have TMax A/T on my '07 for about 30,000 miles and love it.

Like any other tool you need to learn how to use it, manuals are written for that reason.
Read it, then read it again.
Continuously use it as a guide.
I think it's the simplest complete tuner.

Al

Old 12-26-2011, 11:11 AM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The TMAX is simple to use but does have some reliability issues. Been running one on my 2008 Deluxe for about 50k miles. The bike does run good, but I have the following complaints.

1) I have experienced 2 failures of the IAC control circuit. Zippers replaced both units under warranty so I have had 3 units installed. This forces me to carry my stock ECM with me so that I do not get stranded. My warranty expires in May, not sure what I will do then.
2) Dash will go dead occasionally, need to turn bike off and restart.
3) Battery will occasionally be discharged for no apparent reason.
4) Could not eliminate decel popping. Spent a year trying several different maps and making adjustments. I ended up having it dyno-tuned.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

For autotune you have to have o2 sensors. You didn't say what year your bike was.

If you are going to do the install, don't read the manuals for installation... refer to one of their videos on youtube. The written installation instructions for some bikes are wrong.

Spend a lot of time on the harleytechtalk.org forum. You can solve fine tuning without going to a dyno if you know what you are doing and don't have some really wierd configuration that doesn't have a good map for a starting point.

You should find the TMax is one of the best bangs for the buck if you intend to make changes over time and/or you do a lot of long distance traveling to different elevations. If you aren't going to do either then you can get a Power Commander and have the bike dyno'd and for the same money probably have a bike that runs with the priorities that you have (mileage, acceleration, no pop, or whatever priority you have) without fiddling with the AFR or the timing like you will have to do on the TMax for anything but the most basic set up (simple stage 1 SE kit, for example).

C#

Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not go with the SE Pro Tuner or TTS? You're changing cams, right? I think it would make sense to get it dynoed.