Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having trouble getting rear disc off

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
kalamitty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having trouble getting rear disc off

i have a 2005 heritage and i have to replace the rear disc, i've got the rear wheel off and i've got the new disc and new torx screws/bolts, but i can't remove the old torx bolts i have soaked them in penitrating oil but have still managed to shear off 4 torx sockets, the bolts just ain't budging anyone got any ideas.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try heating the bolts with a heat gun.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,117 Likes on 5,824 Posts

Pipe wrench... once you get them broken loose, use the torx

Old 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

1) Impact wrench with a higher quality torx bit (and a spare or two)
2) Torch to heat the bolt and release the thread locker

I've never had to resort to the torch method but I've been close.

And when you reinstall, clean that factory threadlocker off the bolts (if any) and use blue (242) loctite, not red, or you'll be going through this all over again the next time.

Some guys may argue with my loctite recommendation and I'm not going to play along if that occurs. I'm just telling you what I would do, what I have done, and my rotors have never fallen off. I've also never seen the need for new bolts unless you damage one. They are not torque-to-yield bolts.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,380 Likes on 2,577 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
1) Impact wrench with a higher quality torx bit (and a spare or two)
2) Torch to heat the bolt and release the thread locker

I've never had to resort to the torch method but I've been close.

And when you reinstall, clean that factory threadlocker off the bolts (if any) and use blue (242) loctite, not red, or you'll be going through this all over again the next time.

Some guys may argue with my loctite recommendation and I'm not going to play along if that occurs. I'm just telling you what I would do, what I have done, and my rotors have never fallen off. I've also never seen the need for new bolts unless you damage one. They are not torque-to-yield bolts.
Good advice I'll add to. Use a 24 oz. dead blow hammer on the impact driver.Polished the heads on a new set of stock bolts,I've had 2 reused bolts break and several come loose after good cleaning and red locktite tq'ed to spec.None since I started using new bolts.If you use heat use an electricians commercial heat gun. I've never had to use heat using the above methods.

Last edited by back again; 12-22-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Impact wrench will do the trick

Old 12-22-2011, 07:58 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the replies had good advice, so if one don't work then try another. I've used both the heat gun and a torch. The torch has worked for me when the heat gun didn't. It also helps to hit it with a hammer while it's hot (if you can do that in that area).

Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,982 Likes on 4,174 Posts

Name brand quality tight torx and a cheap harbor freight 3/4 impact. Penetrant is a waste of time and effort with red loctite. Heat if you must as long as you control it. Quick and 500 degrees.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,380 Likes on 2,577 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
All the replies had good advice, so if one don't work then try another. I've used both the heat gun and a torch. The torch has worked for me when the heat gun didn't. It also helps to hit it with a hammer while it's hot (if you can do that in that area).
Torch in the wrong hands will flake chrome or make powder coats peel quickly.A "good" heat gun makes childs play out of even the HD factory thread locker which I've always found tougher to break and melt than Red locktite.Which ever method you use the biggest factor is the quality of the torx bit you use.It pays to buy a good set of torx and 12points fromSnap On,Matco,etc tool company. Good luck with your job kalamitty

Old 12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Those Torx bolts are a major PITA. Last winter I changed my rotors and pulley. In doing so I busted, bent and twisted 7 or 8 various brands & qualities of Torx bits using anything from a leverage socket drive to pneumatic impact wrench. Use heat gun and penetration fluids as well.

I can't help thinking that there has to be a better way ...

Quick Reply: having trouble getting rear disc off