Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice to buying a new Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 AM
rdougwill
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice to buying a new Fat Boy

Hi All-

Looking for some advice to getting the best deal available on a new Fat Boy. I know that the dealers can put whatever price they want on the bikes and want to be armed with as much information as I can.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a few dealers near you, start talking to both of them.. tell the one what the other is offering, then go back and forth. If they won't come down enough in the price, start requesting extras.. for example, when I bought my FatBoy Lo, they gave me 15% off all merchandise/parts/accessories for a year, 1000 & 5000 mile services included, and a few dollars off the sticker price of the bike.. See if you can get similar, or have them throw in an intake/exhaust combo or something like that.. and if they still won't haggle with you, move on to the next dealer

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 AM
rdougwill
6th Gear

Jim- Thanks for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time for me. By the way I too am former Sgt USMC. Semper Fi.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

I went to a few different dealers and they all wanted the same price. So I went back to the dealer that I wanted to buy from and asked what type of a deal they would give me.
The salesman said "nothing, because if you don't buy it, someone else will".
So I told him that another dealer had offered me $300 in accessories if I bought from them, and if he could beat that, I would buy from him. He gave me a big speil about how he would go ask the sales manager, but no promises. Then he comes back and says "this is your lucky day, the sales manager is willing to give you a $600 store credit towards accessories".
I ended up taking that deal.

You have to let them know that you want a deal, but only after they give you their final price. Then stick to it and call their bluff by walking out the door if you have to. Once you accept their price, that's it, but you can always go back another day and try again if you walk out.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got $600 in accessories, but no dealer in colo was willing to come off of msrp. Errogant bastards

Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I called about 6 or 7 dealers and asked them to give me their best offer. I took that and told them what I was willing to pay and if they accepted I'd sign the papers right then.

I found that once they know your serious then they'll really start to negotiate. Most deals were $1000 gift card and 1000 mile service.

I got my bike for 16k even (was listed at 17,500) with stage 1 upgrade and pipe swap

So go in figuring 10-15% off the msrp and let them know you'll walk out the door with it for that price or without for that price. Don't be scared to walk away, you can always shop around and come back. Have some names of people and dealerships so they know you've been shopping around and it won't hurt to fluff up another deal (like add the service into it)

Also I hope you saved an extra $5k to start your mods

Last edited by kozy22; 12-22-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your motivation for buying new? My bike (stock FB) was 2 years old with 55 miles and spotless when I bought it. I got a great deal and someone else paid for all the extras and dealer crap.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yours purchase was the EXCEPTION rather than the RULE with those miles and only 2 years old you were very fortunate to find it ...... those bikes are as rare as rocking horse s##t ..... so of course it was a deal

Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree with the one guy and ask why not look for that deal? There is a Fat Boy by me that only has 1700 miles on it for half the price of a new one and it's a 2011 model. Shoot, I think the guy even has a bit of chrome on it already too. If you have the time maybe sit back and watch craigslist for a while. It's winter here and guys are dumping there bikes like crazy. It's also not the best economy right now too, people are in a jam and letting the toys go 1st. I check craigslist everyday to see if there is anything out there I can use. I have found a new tank for my bike for pennies on the dollar. I want a new set of tins to paint. I have seen 3 bikes today and all 3 have less then 2500 miles on them, some with stuff already added to the bike for half of a new bike if not more and no taxes on top of that! Just food for thought is all. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:57 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

P.S., the dealers around here don't care. They will NOT budge off of the price, PERIOD! Around here if you can walk out with a new T-shirt you have done well!!! I'm just saying...

Quick Reply: Advice to buying a new Fat Boy