Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks for Softail Custom. Anything Better Than Progressive 422's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shocks for Softail Custom. Anything Better Than Progressive 422's?

I'm going to be swapping the stock shocks on my 2007 Softail Custom this winter.

It seems like Progressive 422's are the most popular. Are there any other good brands that are comparable, or are they pretty much the best for this application?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Air ride and everyone will let you know which ones

I have the 422's and like them

Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
socal yankee
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as non-air ride systems, the progressives are the way to go, no doubt. Personally I have Shotguns which allow me to adjust the height as wells the rebound and softness on the fly. I could ride like a rigid or a Cadillac, as low as I want or raise it up when I'm approaching the canyons. Air rides are more money though.
I have progressive drop- ins up front dropped 1.5" and I love those as well!!!!

Hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by socal yankee
As far as non-air ride systems, the progressives are the way to go, no doubt. Personally I have Shotguns which allow me to adjust the height as wells the rebound and softness on the fly. I could ride like a rigid or a Cadillac, as low as I want or raise it up when I'm approaching the canyons. Air rides are more money though.
I have progressive drop- ins up front dropped 1.5" and I love those as well!!!!

Hope this helps.
Do I have to drop the front end when using Progressive, or can I keep the stock ride height?

If using progressive 422's in the rear, which would be a better match for the front; Progressive, Ricor Intiminators, or the new HD Premium dual cartridge kit?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

I loved my 422's for solo rides but switched to Shotgun when my wife decided that she wanted to ride more. I switched my front springs for Progressive too and changed to heavier fork oil.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Very satisfied with 422s on mine. New version has the remote adjustable preload which seems like a nice feature. My front is lowered...I prefer a balanced look and stance.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW I just installed the progressive drop in lowering kit and Ricor Intiminators up front and it is great. Far superior to stock. Will do the 422s before riding season begins again.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by drspencer
Do I have to drop the front end when using Progressive, or can I keep the stock ride height?

If using progressive 422's in the rear, which would be a better match for the front; Progressive, Ricor Intiminators, or the new HD Premium dual cartridge kit?

Thanks
As far as your front goes, you dont have to drop the front right away.. I just wanted a little more performance up front. You could leave the stockers in and it will feel softer than a drop-in kit..Or you could upgrade to drop-ins and go 0 drop, 1", or 2" like some of the SoCal Style guys have. I think OS Deluxe has a 2". If you do drop it there and go more than 1 inch, i definitely recommend heavier fork oil like Ash and I did.. Now be forewarned, doing this drop you will feel MUCH more of the road. At first i didnt know if i liked that, but as time wore on, i began to really like the responsive feedback...I dont have the Ricors like UT has, but I hear they make it even better.. Drew (Dr V-Twinn) has em too and he really likes them and recommends them....

Happy Holidays, Brotha!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

I'm leaning towards 422's in the rear and Progressive Monotubes up front (stock height, no drop).

Isn't the new HD Premium cartridge fork kit the same as a Progressive monotube?

Thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 04:02 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

I’m a big Fan of Progressive 422’s. Have them of both my bikes and spent numerous hours experimenting with different heights and preload settings. Also tried Progressive’s Drop in Springs and Mono Tube Cartridges.

My recommendation is to first install the new 422’s with the remote preload adjuster. It’s a little more expensive but makes dialing-in much easier. The 422’s are height adjustable from (zero) down to (minus 2) inches. Try various height and preload settings until you find your sweet spot, then purchase and install Progressive’s Mono Tubes.

Note: If your final setting on the 422’s is (stock height down to minus 1 inch), purchase the Stock Height Mono Tubes. If you drop your bike more than 1 inch, purchase the Mono Tube lowering kit which is adjustable from minus 1 to minus 2 inches.

I set my 422's at (minus 1) and installed the Stock Height Mono Tubes omitting the small horseshoe spacer that comes with the kit. This setup is perfect for me.

Last edited by olongapo1; 12-21-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Shocks for Softail Custom. Anything Better Than Progressive 422's?