Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

signal light is

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default signal light is

Flashing faster than normal. it is only on one side and when I hit the turn signal it starts flashing normally but then picks up speed? Don't know anything about how this works but something is messed up.

I recently had a front bulb go bad on the same side and switched it out. Never noticed anything until today while behind a car at stop light I could see it flashing way faster than normal....any info would be appreciated!

?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

If they all were doing that, I'd say you switched to LED bulbs without installing a load equalizer. However, if only one side is doing it, I think you have a blown bulb somewhere, including headlight, tail light, aux lights, signals, brake, etc. Recheck them all!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,015 Likes on 4,205 Posts

One of the blubs is not making good contact on that side. Probably the bulb you put in. If you force them it does not take a lot to get them 180 out and the smaller running light element will cause that. Also be sure what you put in is correct. Most general car bulbs will not hold up to the heavy duty service required by a Harley. There is a difference.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
If they all were doing that, I'd say you switched to LED bulbs without installing a load equalizer. However, if only one side is doing it, I think you have a blown bulb somewhere, including headlight, tail light, aux lights, signals, brake, etc. Recheck them all!

No they are all working. Other thing I noticed is that it doesn't appear to do it when the bike is not running. I just tried it a few times in the garage without the bike turned on and it worked fine. Very strange!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by grf000
One of the blubs is not making good contact on that side. Probably the bulb you put in. If you force them it does not take a lot to get them 180 out and the smaller running light element will cause that. Also be sure what you put in is correct. Most general car bulbs will not hold up to the heavy duty service required by a Harley. There is a difference.
I am thinking you are likely right, good contact is likely the issue

Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Pop the lens off the front & shove a Quaalude inside the signal. That oughtta do it!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:19 PM
str8jacket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the replacement bulb the correct wattage?

Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
No they are all working. Other thing I noticed is that it doesn't appear to do it when the bike is not running. I just tried it a few times in the garage without the bike turned on and it worked fine. Very strange!
What year and model is your bike?

There is difference in turn signals control from bike to bike. On 2011 and later Softail each turn signal is controlled individually. Same thing on 2012 Dyna. On the rest of the bikes both front and rear turn signals are controlled at the same time.

Fast blinking of a turn signal indicator means you have:
- either a blown bulb
- either shorted wire to the turn signal
- either open wire to the turn signal
- either you have installed a bulb with higher wattage (more than 25W)
- either you have installed LED bulb with current draw below 120mA for newer bikes and below 1.5A current draw for older vehicles or vehicles other than 2011/2012 Softail and Dyna

The control module has set a code – if you get the code you’ll know what exactly is the problem.

There is a trick in verifying the operation. The codes are set after 4 flashes.

I would turn Right turn signal ON, walk around the bike and verify front and rear lights are flashing (wait for at least 4 flashes)
Then I would do the same with the right turn signal..

Another thing that may have happened is you somehow inserted the bulb incorrectly. The front bulbs have 2 filaments, one is 0.5A for Running Lights, the other is 2.5A for Turn Signal. If the places of the filaments are swapped then the control module will be flashing the Run light instead of the Turn light and will set a code.

Please activate the 4-way flash (Hazard) and verify both lights (left and right ) flash with equal intensity. If one of them is dimmer – that’s the problem.

If everything above checks OK and you have problem only when the engine is running then it is definitely intermittent connection in the bulb socket.