Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce vs Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM
elkhunter719
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deuce vs Heritage?

OK I realize I am at both ends of the spectrum here but I am looking at a bigger bike. Been riding my sporty average 85 miles a day back and forth to work. It is a great ride for what I am doing but have had thoughts of going to a bigger bike. Over the past couple of months I have thought about Heritage and Fatboy plus a couple of others. Recently got serious and thought I had settled on the Heritage. Last week saw a 2008 with low miles, pretty much stock at a great price. Just about ready to make an offer when a new add popped up for a 2004 Deuce. This bike is nearly new with very low miles. I think it screamed at me because it had the "look" that I couldn't take my eyes off of.
Obviously the Heritage is built for the road and that Deuce has agility and lighter weight. Also heard that the Deuce just isn't good for the longer rides I might like to take.
Looking for some input here from those that have owned one or both, something that can turn me one way or the other. Will I get that same old "you can't ride that Deuce more than 200 miles" comments from one or two that I have talked to. Am I looking at just a 'grown up' sporty? Help/comments please.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I've ridden 500+ mile days on my Duece mulitple times. Did three back-to-back-to-back 700+ mile days just last year (2010). Six times I've ridden it from CA to Ohio since 2004. Comfort was never an issue for me. Packing it for a trip was a bitch though.

A year ago I got a Ultra Limited and now the Duece has been relegated to local rides, but I still love it and have no plans of ever selling it.

Attached Thumbnails Deuce vs Heritage?-04-summer-road-trip-092.jpg  

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-17-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 for a Heritage this summer. 1 up, it tours just fine, and handle surprisingly well for a big bike. And those saddle bags come in mighty handy if you need to pack something back and forth to work. Good luck, and enjoy whatever you ride.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,950 Likes on 4,979 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I've ridden 500+ mile days on my Duece mulitple times. Did three back-to-back-to-back 700+ mile days just last year (2010). Six times I've ridden it from CA to Ohio since 2004. Comfort was never an issue for me. Packing it for a trip was a bitch though.

A year ago I got a Ultra Limited and now the Duece has been relegated to local rides, but I still love it and have no plans of ever selling it.
yep! thats how its done!! everybody really needs two!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:53 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a deuce and now have a deluxe. I give the comfort to the deluxe because of the floorboards and added highway bar (wouldn't look good on a deuce)

Besides that they will give the same comfort.

Remember too that the deuce has a lot of parts that won't fit

Old 12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
elkhunter719
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good point.

Originally Posted by kozy22
I had a deuce and now have a deluxe. I give the comfort to the deluxe because of the floorboards and added highway bar (wouldn't look good on a deuce)

Besides that they will give the same comfort.

Remember too that the deuce has a lot of parts that won't fit
Hadn't considered parts for the Deuce. Any one having issues trying to get parts?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What about a Deluxe, hey? It will come to you, never be in a rush cause there will ALWAYS be a "good deal" out there on any kind of bike you can think of. If it's traveling you are talking about you can't beat the Heritage, ( or the Deluxe ) and the bags are always there ready to be packed and go. Also, I love all that big fat rubber on the road too. I always road "sportier" bikes untill my 1st time on a Heritage and since then I have never looked back. Now I ride the Deluxe. But,, then there is the other guy who says he has chalked up a many miles on his Duece, had no problems and he loves it so I guess really it's to each there there own. Just don't rush it.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

no issues at all with parts for a deuce! i have replaced just about everything! those comments usualy come from people that dont no what there doing!
the distance riding on a deuce can be solved with the right seat!
but in saying that if you are serious about long distance riding you are always going to be better off with the heritage

Old 12-18-2011, 06:43 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
no issues at all with parts for a deuce! i have replaced just about everything! those comments usualy come from people that dont no what there doing!
the distance riding on a deuce can be solved with the right seat!
but in saying that if you are serious about long distance riding you are always going to be better off with the heritage
I know whatim doing, and yes you can change everything any any bike, but on a deuce things are a pain in the a$$

Just get a Harley parts book and look how many things says except deuce

Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I went from a '93 Sportster to a '02 Heritage, kind of what you're looking to do.

Heritage all the way, HD's best overall bike, imo.

I say buy the Heritage. If you need to carry some things, you won't have to bungee them on and look like a gypsy!

Quick Reply: Deuce vs Heritage?