Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatcat is on!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:32 AM
joejack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the clearance is better but it still slightly makes contact. I emailed d&d so we will see what the say.

I used this to mount the passenger footpeg. It really should be a 1/2" longer so as soon as I can find one I will switch it out.

Old bolt and new bolt.

Last edited by joejack; 12-17-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:21 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Its possible that the pipe is off a little, but thinking more than likely Urs just need tweeked a little to make them work..

IMO D&D's are the best looking 2-1's and we know by looking at dyno's they are great #'s producers.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would they design it to be that close, even if it doesn't contact the cover? Install extra washers, hit with a rubber mallot??? My V&H BR 2:1 bolted right on and fit perfectly.

As far as the passenger peg, is the issue just that the new bolt bolt is too short? Have no idea what the black caps are for. The V&H pipe came with an offset bracket because the exhaust tube covers the area where the footpeg was.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:02 PM
joejack
Cruiser

Yea the supplied bolt was to short. I talked to my lOcal Indy shop and they mentioned putting a small dent in the pipe to clear the cover, but I don't like that idea. I have messed with tweaking the pipe for hours so I don't think it's gonna work. I saw someone on here had a similar issue where they had to send him a new head pipe.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh....a small dent in the pipe? I'd feel like putting a small dent in someone's head after spending your $$$. I saw that a few others said theirs were "close". I looked around for other Fatboy pics with a Fatcat and it looks like it's very tight by design. You think it's possible you got one that's out of tolerance? What does D&D say?

Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 AM
joejack
Cruiser

I think the pipe is off slightly, I have tweaked it for hours and as i mentioned it clears cool but when the pipe gets hot it expands and hits the cam cover slightly. I emailed d&d so I would guess I will hear something next week.

Last edited by joejack; 12-18-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused as far as your passenger peg problem.
My passenger peg is 3 1/2" above the top of my muffler, so it had no bearing on the exhaust installation. I got my Fat Cat 3 years ago so maybe your mounting brackets are a different design then mine.
I did notice that your muffler is shorter then mine.
There is a cutout in my heat shield in the area where it comes closest to the cover. Do you have that cutout?
Tom

Last edited by tmitchellof PG; 12-18-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
I'm confused as far as your passenger peg problem.
My passenger peg is 3 1/2" above the top of my muffler, so it had no bearing on the exhaust installation. I got my Fat Cat 3 years ago so maybe your mounting brackets are a different design then mine.
I did notice that your muffler is shorter then mine.
There is a cutout in my heat shield in the area where it comes closest to the cover. Do you have that cutout?
Tom

My 06 is the same as well. Mine is close to the cover but does not touch. I am now have a heritage fatcat on to look a little better with the bags, and it fit the same as the first one. So I do not believe they changed much in the design. Not sure if newer HD models have changes that would affect fitment. Also each head pipe is of equal length so that is why it come close to the cover. I am sure D&D will help you out and make it right. I am planning on working on mine later today so if I get to it I will take a few pics of clearance on mine.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 AM
joejack
Cruiser

The only issue with the footpeg was that the supplied bolt was to short for my passenger peg mount which I solved with a longer bolt. Yes my heat shield has the cutout near the cam cover, it is the actual headpipe touching the cam cover.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 AM
joejack
Cruiser

The mid mount from the factory exhaust under the transmission cover was not suppost to be re used correct?

Quick Reply: Fatcat is on!