Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Heritage Springer Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought mine new back in '03. I now have 23,000 miles on her. This is the best bike I have ever owned. This is my keeper...
How many miles do you have on yours? Did you find any worn parts on the front end?
Good luck with your new toy... She is a fine ride!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Hey gang, just another teaser shot. I'm really liking the way things are coming along. Barnett Platinum cables will be here in two days. Once I get them, I can get them all on there, and the exhaust and brake-side components added back on.

The only thing that I'm still waiting for is the sheet-metal. Hopefully I get the call from Gunslingers soon...

Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I like Springers, I love chrome, and I appreciate owners who put in the time to make them something special. Kudo's to you and speaking for myself, I await the updates.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I like Springers, I love chrome, and I appreciate owners who put in the time to make them something special. Kudo's to you and speaking for myself, I await the updates.
Thanks bikerlaw, I appreciate the compliments. Since you mentioned updates, I'll throw in a few more pictures.

I got some more parts in from LSHD. The original windshield bracket was all pitted and spot rusting, and the hardware looked like garbage. To come this far and not replace it would be unwise, so I bought a new one. Also got new fender supports for the rear fender, because the original ones were not up to snuff...

Since the windshield bracket is required to go on over the wiring from the headlight and passing lamps/horn/turns, I needed this on before I could bolt on the Carlini FSAP2.

I also decided that even though the heat-shrink looked okay and did the job, it didn't look great. I ordered some braided cable sleeve, and set about replacing/covering all the heat-shrink. Looks pretty good, IMO.

Oh, forgot to mention, I also wired in the passing lamps to be on full time, and removed the switch. Did this for two reasons: 1, on my SG, they never get turned off, and 2, I wanted to relocate my coil to remove the seat post. I'm thinking about painting my coil metallic silver, but haven't decided yet. One thing is for sure, the cover will remain off. Suggestions are welcome.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

I can't say enough about the quality of workmanship and skill Gunslinger Custom Paint put into this. The silver is an exact match. Fender hole is gone, and the small dent on the front fender has been removed also. Top notch work.

They also rubberized the Harley-Davidson ribbon to protect it and shot new silver. Re-cleared everything, and polished the hell out of it. Looks brand new.

I scored a set of 100th Anniversary covers on eBay. When I went to replace the timer cover, two screws broke off. Couldn't get them out, so off came the exhaust and footboard, and replaced the cam chest cover:

Since the exhaust was back off, I thought it would be a good time to add the reduced effort clutch kit...

New chrome backplate and hardware kit, and now I have an open element AC:

Matching clutch cover:

Last pics before reassembly:

Last edited by Redbeard719; 03-21-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Front fender, boatlight installed:

On the springer front end, if you don't wrap the forks, you can kiss your paint goodbye...

Installed:

Finally could run the front brake line:

Rear Fender installed, what a pain in the rear...

New tear drop covers. Can't order just the tape that holds them to the fender braces. Old ones had some pits in the chrome too:

The finished project:

C&C saddle, with new console:

Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered, with straight tips:

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful work!!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

absolutely gorgeous . there really isn't anything else i can say

Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 AM
johnpace2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that's just awesome.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks sick! I am so happy you went with that exhaust...Makes me feel a little better getting away from my dual exhaust!

Quick Reply: 2003 Heritage Springer Restoration