Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would be the + or - to an 18" rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kozy22
My concern is more if I blow a tire, I'd like to be able put a new tire on right away. At least with the front I could put the stock on while I wait ( Ive never done the rear before)

You have any pics showing off the 18" rear WW
Sorry for the delayed response. Had to run to soccer practice and when I got home I had no heat.So been messin with that. Your concern is valid. The only thing you could do is buy an extra one(pricey option).Or as Truckin stated I'm sure Tab could could send you one pretty quick.He is a real gentlemen and great to work with.

Knock on wood no flats or blow outs yet and I'm running tubeless.If something happens I'll deal with it when it does.That is the only trade off I can see.But as with any custom work there is always a trade off.To me this was a small non issue.

The only thing that may be a small issue for some. The DB rear 18 WW does not go all the way to the bead.Kind of like the 90-90-21 Avon Venom front WW.Tab may or may not be able to do something about that.Just let him know before ordering.But the WWW in the rear is wider then the front 120 70-21 WW so no worries with that. The DB front 120-70-21 WW goes all the way to the bead.

For what ever reason I have not been able to post pics for the past few months.I will PM you and send some via email.

Last edited by Malingerer; 12-16-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:47 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I went 18 rr because I wanted to see more wheel and less tire. But I dont run ww's.
If you select the right tire size for equal width and OD, the differences are negligible. Less sidewall flex, which will affect the ride and handling a little.

Last edited by 97FXSTSB; 12-16-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 PM
chap!
Road Master

Originally Posted by Malingerer
Sorry for the delayed response. Had to run to soccer practice and when I got home I had no heat.So been messin with that. Your concern is valid. The only thing you could do is buy an extra one(pricey option).Or as Truckin stated I'm sure Tab could could send you one pretty quick.He is a real gentlemen and great to work with.

Knock on wood no flats or blow outs yet and I'm running tubeless.If something happens I'll deal with it when it does.That is the only trade off I can see.But as with any custom work there is always a trade off.To me this was a small non issue.

The only thing that may be a small issue for some. The DB rear 18 WW does not go all the way to the bead.Kind of like the 90-90-21 Avon Venom front WW.Tab may or may not be able to do something about that.Just let him know before ordering.But the WWW in the rear is wider then the front 120 70-21 WW so no worries with that. The DB front 120-70-21 WW goes all the way to the bead.

For what ever reason I have not been able to post pics for the past few months.I will PM you and send some via email.

Here's some pic's of Malingerers ride with the 18" rear.
One of my favourite rides on the forum!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Tommy's bike should win every show that he enters. That thing is FREAKIN BAD A**.

PERIOD

Between his and OS deluxe and Nifkonf8s bike, those are the 3 best on this entire site.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
chap!
Road Master

Between his and OS deluxe and Nifkonf8s bike, those are the 3 best on this entire site.
Totally agree but I'd have to say there's a fourth one for me to, Bobberev088's.

Last edited by chap!; 12-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 PM
prldrm
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is very relevant to my interests as I'm thinking about going to 18's in the spring. Thanks for sparking this one up, Kozy.

Has anyone come across pics or anyone on here currently using the Vee WW's or is the common consensus that they pretty much blow?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by prldrm
This thread is very relevant to my interests as I'm thinking about going to 18's in the spring. Thanks for sparking this one up, Kozy.

Has anyone come across pics or anyone on here currently using the Vee WW's or is the common consensus that they pretty much blow?

From my Experiences and a couple other guys on here, me, Malingerer etc, VEE RUBBER IS JUNK. They wear quickly, and the WW is not WHITE, its a Tan color.

Also, the 2 that I was sent, they had oil spots that was coming through the WW, due to their Inferior WW process.

If you want a PERFECT 120/70/21 or a 18 inch rear, go with Diamond Back tires.

There is alot of threads on here about diamond back tires. You can go to my profile page and look up the threads that I started and find all the info you need on a Perfect WW. You can get a Metz, Dunlop or Avon in a 120/70/21 or a 18 inch rear. The cost? Only $100 more than a Vee rubber. Thats if you decide to go with a 21/18 combo. If not, then Dunlop offers a HD Edition 18 inch Front WW. I sold Kozy mine and it looks good with a 18 inch front tire, but if you want a 18 inch rear WW, you will have to have one made. WELL WORTH THE EXTRA $100. For more info you can go to my profile page and checks out the threads that I made about the WW's that Diamond Back offers. Or PM me and I can explain alittle bit better.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 AM
prldrm
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, Country! That really helps point me in the right direction. I'll hit you up if I have any lingering questions after checking out the DB threads.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chap!
Here's some pic's of Malingerers ride with the 18" rear.
One of my favourite rides on the forum!

Thanks for posting the pics Chap.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CountryD
From my Experiences and a couple other guys on here, me, Malingerer etc, VEE RUBBER IS JUNK. They wear quickly, and the WW is not WHITE, its a Tan color.

Also, the 2 that I was sent, they had oil spots that was coming through the WW, due to their Inferior WW process.

If you want a PERFECT 120/70/21 or a 18 inch rear, go with Diamond Back tires.

There is alot of threads on here about diamond back tires. You can go to my profile page and look up the threads that I started and find all the info you need on a Perfect WW. You can get a Metz, Dunlop or Avon in a 120/70/21 or a 18 inch rear. The cost? Only $100 more than a Vee rubber. Thats if you decide to go with a 21/18 combo. If not, then Dunlop offers a HD Edition 18 inch Front WW. I sold Kozy mine and it looks good with a 18 inch front tire, but if you want a 18 inch rear WW, you will have to have one made. WELL WORTH THE EXTRA $100. For more info you can go to my profile page and checks out the threads that I made about the WW's that Diamond Back offers. Or PM me and I can explain alittle bit better.
Thanks for the props Country.I totally agree with your statement.Had having both the Vee Rubber and the DB Tires. There is no comparison between the two.

Quick Reply: What would be the + or - to an 18" rear