Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boss Bags

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:33 PM
AndyV
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boss Bags

Greetings all, Just joined this forum...seems like a lot of good info here. I have a question; any input would be appreciated. I have an '06 Softail Deluxe with Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs and a detactable backrest. I'm looking for detachable bags as I prefer a stripped-down look but need some bags to travel. Those Boss Bags look good; I know the larger ones (42's) leave a bracket on your bike but the 36's come off clean. Both fit with the detachable backrest. Does anyone have these bags and if so, are you satisfied? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Boss Bags

Lots of people have them. There are several threads...A search should pull them up.

They are great bags. I bought Leatherworks instead, but it was because I could get them much cheaper. Also consider Ironbags. All 3 have a great rep and are top quality.

Both are quality bags.

Here is a pic of my bags.

Welcome to the site Andy!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive had both Boss Bags and I currently have Iron bags. The Boss bags are great construction and they have pretty good customer service. If youre really after quick detach I would get the Boss Bags. I my self had the 36's I believe is the size. They were big and were great. The Iron Bags I currently have are not quick detach but I believe the leather is better quality and Iron Bags has cargo straps as an option for the lids of the bags which was a big plus in my book. All in all either is a good choice but for leather quality and options I would go with Iron Bags, for quick detach and a good bag I would go with Boss Bags.

Chris

Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 PM
AndyV
Stage III

I appreciate the advice and especially the visuals....they certainly help. Nice bikes! Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be able to have hands on experience pretty soon as my ironbags (Iron Max style) are in the mail now.. but those are not detachable.. I've done the detachable thing and it was fairly convenient, but I'm hoping the bags I have ordered will look cool enough to just stay on the bike, except for wash time. Having seen the boss bags, I'll bet I'll probably be another vouching for the Ironbags as alternatives.

You have one advantage, as everyone has had to deal with me whining about.. you wouldn't have to move the turn signals off your struts as you have a light bar on the deluxe. So you can go with about any size bags your exhaust will allow.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 12-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Andy,
Here's a link to my ironbags install if you want to see what they're about.. Those are the Iron Max. tmitchellof PG, and sonar_chris have another version of the ironbags called the Iron Thunder. All great bags, differing in size and the Max's use one extra bracket under the rear fender. Again, they're not quick-detach with the provided hardware but mine are staying on, except for washing/detailing, and they come off with a few bolts and a socket wrench in a minute or two. The back plate on these isn't flat plastic like some other bags, but contoured fiberglass so they get the most room for storage while getting the bags up close to the bike. So there's some advantages (build, size, cargo strap options, leather quality, structural storage strength etc) and disadvantages (giving up quick-detachability).. Not to try to sell you on either, but just to show you the ironbags since I just got them installed. If you did fall in love with these, Max has a 10% sale going through Christmas.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1040217/tm.htm

Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 AM
AndyV
Stage III

Thanks for your response....nice bike and bags! I appreciate the help. I just visited my Harley dealer and looked at the newer detachable saddlebags made by Harley (#88237-07). They look pretty nice and seem to detach quickly while also leaving not much behind for a clean look. With my lower pipes and detachable back rest, everything seems to line up nicely. One more bag to consider as the dealership is having a 15% off sale for this month!

Be well....

Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Sure.. That's a nice bag. For a deluxe, check out Bluerose's Leatherworks bags.. They're cleanly quick-detach by using the easybracket system.. You can get them with the lids braided (Deluxe / Springer styling) if you like or plain, etc.

She could also give you some feedback on how well she likes them.
Hers is the 110, I believe and they also now have a 110X which is a bit larger.

http://www.leatherworksinc.com/

They're another small company like Ironbags that appear to make a pretty good product.. They were my second choice before I fell in love with the size, looks and build of the Iron Max bags. I wanted to go with a smaller company like these for a leather product made here in the states.. I'm all about the little guy doing a good job in a small business.