Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail starter advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
tonyvisone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail starter advice needed

so my starter is no good on my 89 softail custom

i do not have 500 bucks to buy one from the dealer, so i was looking for something (much) cheaper....

i have to be weary though because i was told i needed atleast a 1.6kW starter to turn my bike.... it has S&S jugs, heads, etc... everythings modified...

i was wondering what exactly i need... i found some on ebay, some are 100, some are 200.... they range from 1.4-1.6kW but i also found one that is 2.0kW....

thanks

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 12-14-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: removed want ad part of post
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

You should measure the cold cranking pressure (CCP) in each cylinder with an air pressure guage. You may be able to borrow one from one of the auto parts chain stores that loans out tools. I forget the size of the spark plug hole, it's metric like 12 or 14 mm, The gauge screws into the spark plug hole. If you've never done a CCP test before, you can google it, search on here or report back and someone will list the steps. Then, I would call All ***** starters (allballsracing.com) and pick their brain about the required starter specifications for your setup. They make the best starters in the business, but they can give you a recommenation for what specs you need and maybe they can point you in the right direction to an economical vendor that will suit your needs. Not all starters are created equally in spite of the power rating. Actually, All ***** may be able to sell you the components you need to rebuild yours. The last thing you want is to replace your starter only to have to do it again in a year.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,077 Likes on 5,816 Posts
Old 12-14-2011, 09:10 AM
str8jacket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Harley not sell brush kits for their starters? In my experience, when a starter goes bad it's usually just the brushes need replaced.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 PM
tonyvisone
Advanced

harry- i know how to and have compression testers, but my starters messed up so it cranks like it has a really dead battery, so i wont get a good test.

harry and jacket- i actually didnt think about rebuilding it yet haha. but i will pull it out of the bike soon and get it apart and see how it looks. im actually going to try and pull it tonight but im not sure how as ive never dont this before.

tom- awesome links and prices. i didnt even know they made a 2.4kW. ill probably buy one of those if rebuilding mine doesnt go as im hoping. any disadvantages to going to the 2.4? does it take a lot of juice or anything like that?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM
John5395
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's acting like the battery is about dead, it could be the starter clutch. Mine sounded like it was really straining (kinda like a low battery). i replaced the clutch and soleniod and it was good as new for less than $100.

John

Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 PM
tonyvisone
Advanced

Originally Posted by John5395
If it's acting like the battery is about dead, it could be the starter clutch. Mine sounded like it was really straining (kinda like a low battery). i replaced the clutch and soleniod and it was good as new for less than $100.

John
hmmmmm... is there any way to tell which it is?

i took the primary cover off tonight, and stopped there because i was unsure in the next step of getting the starter out.......

Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 PM
tonyvisone
Advanced

anybody know what i need to do next? and if theres a way to tell if its the starter or the clutch?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 PM
tonyvisone
Advanced

i tried to take the nut off the starter because i thought i read that somewhere, but the starter just turns when u try to turn the nut....

then i was looking for the bolts on the non primary side of the starter.... i can see them both.... one i can get, but the other looks to be impossible without removing the oil resevoir.... but i read somewhere that you didnt need to remove that. and i dont want to.... and help?? thanks

Old 12-16-2011, 09:01 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

I just changed the starter clutch on my 03 Fatboy..
Yep pulled the oiltank.

before you do it, pull the cover off of the starter solenoid.
You can get to it with the starter on the bike.
pull out the armature , and clean(file/sand) the contact ring.
do the same to the contacts inside the solenoid...

(BE SURE TO DISCO BATTERY)

Quick Reply: Softail starter advice needed