Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question On Engine Code 2012 FatBoy

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011 | 07:02 PM
RedNose44
|
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default Question On Engine Code 2012 FatBoy

Not sure if this is in the right section, but figured someone here might know the answer. I installed a set of V&H pipes and intake on my 2012 FatBoy Lo today, and also flashed the ECM with a PV and map provided by them.

I rode the bike for 10-15 minutes or so and everything seemed fine except for some slight decel popping at low throttle range. I stopped and turned the bike off, got some gas and then took off and did a run through the gears up to about 3/4 throttle. I got a check engine light for about 30 seconds, then it went off and stayed off. When I got home I checked the codes an got P0134 (oxygen sensor high/open front). Anyone know what could have caused this? also why the check engine light for a very short time?

I sent DynoJet an e-mail but figured somebody here might have some info.

Old 12-08-2011 | 07:03 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Exhaust leak.

Old 12-08-2011 | 07:56 PM
RedNose44
|
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks for the response. If that's the case then I guess I will be getting some new gaskets and pulling the pipes back off.

Old 12-08-2011 | 09:35 PM
RedNose44
|
Extreme HDF Member

I am finding alot of stuff online saying PO134 is an inactive O2 sensor. Some saying bad connections, or a bad sensor could be causing this. Anyone else have any opinions? I don't want to remove the pipes if it is a bad sensor.

Old 12-08-2011 | 09:36 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, its under warranty, why not let the dealer diagnose?

Old 12-08-2011 | 09:58 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

Can you clear, then reproduce, the error with another ride? Could be a leak. Did you replace your gaskets with new ones? It's also possible that you may have done something to an O2 sensor or wires when you removed and reinstalled the O2 sensors during the pipe change-over. Connectors fully engaged? Were you careful not to get anti-seize on an O2 sensor? If you've checked to make sure the connectors are plugged back in good, I would start it up and carefully move the wires around, front then back sensor, to see if I could cause the error.

Old 12-08-2011 | 11:04 PM
RedNose44
|
Extreme HDF Member

Kiethhhu: I have had a falling out with my dealer, so if I have to go that route it's going to be a pain in the *** to go to the next closest one.

Mswing1234: I replaced the gaskets with the SE ones provided by V&H. I was also very careful not to get anything on the sensors. I just unplugged and re-connected the sensor and will ride it in the morning.

I actually just talked to a mechanic on the phone and he said to clear the code and try and duplicate the problem just like you said. He said he has had the same issues when using new tuners and sometimes the issue will go away on it's own.

Thanks both of you for the help.

Last edited by RedNose44; 12-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2011 | 01:37 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

I've seen other posters state that when you install the mods yourself, the dealer gets "funny" about warranty coverage for items that could be affected by the mods you've done. It seemed to be on a dealer by dealer basis but if you're already on bad terms, may be mute point anyway. It may be useful to contact the etch support for your tuner. Was it a V&H FuelPak? I forget if you mentioned it in your original post. V&H has great tech support.

Old 12-10-2011 | 09:39 PM
RedNose44
|
Extreme HDF Member

I am using a Power Vision Tuner. I am taking it to a local indy next week that has HD trained techs working there. They took a quick look at it, and think it is related directly to the O2 sensor. They do not think it is an exhaust leak.

I went to the next closest HD dealer today to try and pick up another sensor, but they did not have any in stock (I was going to swap it out and see if the problem went away). I will let the indy dig into it next week and figure it out. I rode about 100 miles today and did not get any check engine light until I was almost done with the ride. I was hoping it had fixed itself, but I guess not. Thanks for the replies...

Old 01-01-2012 | 09:40 PM
HD Fat Boy Lo
Stage III
Default Code checking

Hey Red I was wondering how you checked the engine codes? I also have a 2012 fat boy lo and I got the red light on a ride the other day, was only about 35 degress out I let the bike warm up for 5 minutes, took it out for about 5 miles before I hit the highway. I was going about 100-115 for a little while and the light came on, a little worried about what it could be.

*update cancel red I just looked through the forum and found the answer. now just to see what the code means!

Last edited by HD Fat Boy Lo; 01-01-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: resolved the question

Quick Reply: Question On Engine Code 2012 FatBoy