Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006 | 06:56 PM
zombie
Banned
Default RE: Forward floorboards

ORIGINAL: pococj

Here ya go:

Grind or cut the mounting brackets off the bottom of your existing floorboards. Bolt, braze, or weld the front one back on, but in the middle of the board. Stick the floor boards back onto the front mount on the bike and you'll gain about 4 inches of leg room. If you have crash bars you'll have to check the clearance and possibly modify to make 'em fit.
I added a foot peg to the now empty rear mount on the bike just to give me another place to flop me brogans, but I kept grinding the ends off on turns, so I took 'em off and removed the mounts from the brackets/frame/primary.
Once you install the modified boards you'll have a problem with the brake pedal stabbing you in the side of your foot. You can buy one of the extended brake pedals or modify your existing one. I heated the foot pedal part of the lever and straightened it. Next I got a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the end of the straightened brake lever. I then cut a notch out of the lever about 2 inches from the pivot, bent it back together, and welded it so the pedal part was at the level I wanted. I then painted the whole thing wrinkle black. I mounted the rubber part of the foot pedal longways on the angle iron so it wouldn't extend too far out over the footboard. It works fine, looks great, and there ain't another one like it anywhere.

Here's the brake pedal, and you can see the board location.

Here's a pic of the left board.
Hey Skip...did you move the clutch down to the left floorboard?

Old 12-07-2006 | 09:44 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: zombie

Here ya go:

Grind or cut the mounting brackets off the bottom of your existing floorboards. Bolt, braze, or weld the front one back on, but in the middle of the board. Stick the floor boards back onto the front mount on the bike and you'll gain about 4 inches of leg room. If you have crash bars you'll have to check the clearance and possibly modify to make 'em fit.
I added a foot peg to the now empty rear mount on the bike just to give me another place to flop me brogans, but I kept grinding the ends off on turns, so I took 'em off and removed the mounts from the brackets/frame/primary.
Once you install the modified boards you'll have a problem with the brake pedal stabbing you in the side of your foot. You can buy one of the extended brake pedals or modify your existing one. I heated the foot pedal part of the lever and straightened it. Next I got a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the end of the straightened brake lever. I then cut a notch out of the lever about 2 inches from the pivot, bent it back together, and welded it so the pedal part was at the level I wanted. I then painted the whole thing wrinkle black. I mounted the rubber part of the foot pedal longways on the angle iron so it wouldn't extend too far out over the footboard. It works fine, looks great, and there ain't another one like it anywhere.

Here's the brake pedal, and you can see the board location.

Yep, it's a LaBriola suicide set-up. Came with a jockey shift lever, but I don't like the weight - too heavy.

Old 12-07-2006 | 09:51 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: zombie

Yep, it's a LaBriola suicide set-up. Came with a jockey shift lever, but I don't like the weight - too heavy. I added the spring you can see 'cause the pedal tended to flop some without it.

Old 12-23-2006 | 10:17 PM
grasman
Cruiser

Riggidyraw,

Are your turn signals relocated on a light bar, or some other method? Hard to tell from the photo. I am trying to change up my front end and get some ideas. I have an 07 Fatboy.

Jack