Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is my Smart Siren II pigtail?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Nooovie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is my Smart Siren II pigtail?

Hey guys,

I am getting a used Smart Siren II from a buddy today, so it comes without instructions. I've searched for hours yesterday trying to find the H-D install info but to no avail. I've found Dyna, FL, and pager instructions but no Softail. I've pulled the seat and checked under there but no cigar, checked underneath by the shocks... no luck finding anything that would have a plug with 3 wires... SO... humbled I seek your wisdom... where the heck does this thing mount? And where is my pigtail? The bike is a 2011 Blackline.

Thanks for any info.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Behind the splash guard.

Drew

Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the instructions say to keep the thin part of the antenna from touching any metal. They provided a velcro to attach it to the frame.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did it on my Fat Boy Lo and it's a piece of cake.
It goes in where the rear of the frame faces the rear tire.
It's a pretty easy install and you don't have to remove the rear tire.
Just jack up the bike or put it on blocks so the rear tire is not touching the ground so you have more room between the rear tire and the frame.
There is a plastic cover (Rear Splash Guard) between the rear tire and the frame.
There is a small hex bolt located at the bottom of it. Remove the bolt and remove the seat and pull the top of the plastic back towards the rear tire and it pops off the frame tube. then just slide it away to the top of the tire till youre done with the install.
The alarm just plugs in and clips in to place. Then you have to set it up to work with the bike.
Here's some threads with pics.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-how-hard.html

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0408h...arm/index.html

Alarm setup:
http://www.hdtalking.com/alarms_and_...elated_issues/

Last edited by Jester750; 12-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Nooovie
Advanced

You guys rock! Thanks for all the info. I just picked up the pager on eBay too. I know most of the time I'm within a comfortable distance of drop kickin the fool that would mess with my bike, but I have a paging system on my Jeep and kind of like knowing if anyone tries to stick their hands in it while I'm having a burger and soda

Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Jester750
Tourer

Originally Posted by poppavein
And the instructions say to keep the thin part of the antenna from touching any metal. They provided a velcro to attach it to the frame.
As far as that antenna wire goes: Make sure you leave a little slack in it or it will break like mine did. My solution for that was to just put the velcro strips together over the wire and just place it on top (not stick it to it) of the flat frame piece behind the battery.

I also have the pager and it makes me feel better knowing wether my bike is getting f__ed with.

Just keep in mind that the alarm for the newer bikes doesn't have an alarm sensitivity adjustment anymore so the alarm will only go off if someone tries to start it, roll it forward or backward or stand it upright.

Funny story,
The "stand it upright" part worked well once when my buddy's pager went off when we were in a Go-Go bar. He ran outside and we followed. When we got outside we saw some fool sitting on his bike playing pretend motorcycle rider. At about this point the fool was having so much fun pretending, that he didn't see my 250lb.+ buddy running up behind him. The funny part was the look of fear on this guy's face the moment before my buddy punched him right off the bike and started screaming at him asking him where his F__king car was, so he could jump on it! The guy got up and ran into the woods. It still makes me laugh when ever I think about it.

Last edited by Jester750; 12-07-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Nooovie
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jester750
...started screaming at him asking him where his F__king car was, so he could jump on it!
F that's funny dude... I actually laughed out loud... and well worth the $60 odd bucks for the pager. Mind you, I paid $40 plus shipping I figure at that price... meh might as well. (that's what? about 2 lap dances?)

Thanks for the heads up on the antenna. You wouldn't find that in the HD instructions The info and the humor is why this forum rocks boys...

Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

I think HD left out the part about "leave some slack in the antenna wire" so that they would sell more units.
I installed mine, when I rode over some train tracks, I heard a loud "snaaaap!". I stopped and found the antenna wire snapped where it connected to the siren unit. Had to buy a new unit because there was no way to reconnect the antenna unless I broke open the siren unit.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Jester750
Tourer

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I think HD left out the part about "leave some slack in the antenna wire" so that they would sell more units.
I installed mine, when I rode over some train tracks, I heard a loud "snaaaap!". I stopped and found the antenna wire snapped where it connected to the siren unit. Had to buy a new unit because there was no way to reconnect the antenna unless I broke open the siren unit.
Yea, I got lucky. It snapped in the middle so I peeled back a little insulation from the end of each broken end of the wire and soldiered it back together and added some wire shrinktube to it to keep the corrosion out of it. I tested it from a block away and the pager worked.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Nooovie
Advanced

Just wanted to say thanks for the info, instructions, and advice. I installed the siren in a total of about 20 minutes.

For future Blackline guys doing the install... The links above from Jester are spot on. The only difference I think is that the Blackline has only one hex bolt at the bottom which needed to be removed (with the bike on a jack) and then the splashguard pulled back toward the wheel (the top if it clipped to the swingarm).

Having a smaller set of hands would have been nice, but I ended up getting my mitts and the siren in its designed spot. It slides up into a space and there are 2 plastic tabs at the bottom that clip it in place. I didn't velcro it in or anything, because after clipping the splashguard in back in place there is no way the siren can fall out.

I used a long flathead screwdriver to unclip the connector from it's storage spot (the clip is at the bottom of the connector) and pulled it free. Clipping the wiring harness to the siren was likely the most challenging part.

Otherwise, I ran the antenna along the bottom fram cross brace, and attached it with velcro straps so it has room to move, and then ran it along the wiring harness using same straps. OH and left a bit of slack in it just in case. Hoping for no snapping sound.

Otherwise, HOLY cr*#p these things are LOUD.. It made my neighbor come by to see what was happening cause he heard it in the neighboring unit to my shop . Though I may turn off the chirp feature in the future, for now I think it is a good way of letting people know to F with the next bike that doesn't have an alarm. I have to say, putting this bike in a white van while the alarm is goin off would be a very unpleasant experience for those involved.
Thanks again guys for making this a breeze...

Quick Reply: Where is my Smart Siren II pigtail?