Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is my Smart Siren II pigtail?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Noovie,
I just looked at those PDF files that had the install instructions and they are for pre 2007 alarms and doesn't say much about the softail install.

The problem I see with the way you installed yours is the antenna wire.
According to the instructions that I got with the siren for my 2010 fatboy,
(looking from the rear tire to the frame) the antenna wire is routed up the left side under the seat, bending right so it rests on top and across the flat piece of frame directly behind the battery top. It came with a piece of 2" wide velcro by maybe 8" long with a glue side for adhearing it to something. It was 2 pieces or strips, the hook piece and the loop piece. That is what you are supposed to stick to the frame piece I mentioned and then put the other on top of it, sandwiching the legnth of the antenna wire between the 2 pieces of velcro. It is to hold the antenna flat in place and to keep it from touching the metal frame.
Like this shown in (Figure 5)
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03839.pdf
(the only thing I did different the second time around was I just sandwiched the antenna between the two velcro pieces and placed it on top of that frame piece without sticking the velcro to it so it could move a little bit. The instructions said if the antenna touches any part of the frame it will lessen the transmitter signal stregnth.

I hope this makes sense to you.

I'll see if I can dig up my instructions and post them up for you tomorrow.

Last edited by Jester750; 12-08-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Nooovie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Jester. Funny, the way you describe it is how I had it set up at first, and then I thought to myself that the antenna exits at the bottom of the siren, so it seemed natural to run it downward. But it makes total sense about reception. I remember reading the part that the skinny piece of the antenna shouldn't touch metal, so I slid some small diameter vinyl wire loom that I had kickin around from my bobber build over it, and that part is velcroed to the wiring harness that runs along the bottom of the frame, so it should be well isolated. BUT the reception probably will suck being at to lowest point of the bike. SO... it's time to do some rerunning of antennae. Thanks for the heads up buddy... I can't wait to get the pager for this thing and test it out. Time to really annoy my neighbor...

Last edited by Nooovie; 12-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nooovie,
Good luck with it.
And ride safe Bro!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Jaish
Stage IV

Jester. I also have an 2012 Fat Boy LO and I was trying to install the Smart Siren II. When I moved the splash guard, the place where the siren connector was attached doesn't have any brackets for the siren box. However, waaaay at the bottom there's a bracket where the siren seems to fit, but putting it there is too low for the connector to reach and puts the antenna at the bottom, too.

Was your bike like this, or was your siren bracket near the dummy pigtail socket as described in the installation booklet?

Attached are 2 pics that show:
1) where the "dummy" connector socket is (no bracket - nothing to hold the siren box, just bolts)
2) the bracket where the siren box seems to fit, but it's at the bottom. Sorry about this pic being rotated funny. Not the passenger footpeg is in the upright position, or turn your head counter-clockwise OR see the drive belt position.

Any help would be appreciated. Does this look like anyone else's 2012 Fat Boy Lo? It seems weird to me... almost like it's all upside down!

Thanks!
-Jaish

Attached Thumbnails Where is my Smart Siren II pigtail?-photo-1.jpg   Where is my Smart Siren II pigtail?-photo-2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 AM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Jaish
Stage IV

Thanks for the video lbottini, but this is a very different location. Imagine: The cable for the siren is just under the rear of the main seat (on the other side of the ECM - rear tire side), but the location where the Siren Box fits and clips into, is just above the softail rear shocks.

Anyone else got a 2012 Fat Boy Lo to confirm this, or is my bike set up different for some weird reason?

Thanks again!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 PM
felixsum
Tourer

Loud, my bike is loud. The friggin alarm is piercing. My FOB battery died and when it went off, I had an instant migrane. Like a banshee mixed with a little girl.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Jaish
Stage IV

Sooooo... after talking to a HD service guy, apparently the Fat Boy Lo's have the siren box housing at the bottom as I saw on my bike (completely different to the instructions given for 2003+ softail models), and different to anything I found on the 'net.

So, I'll have to look again but the cable to connect the siren box is likely tied up somewhere and needs to be pulled through longer. Sounds like the setup is similar to the Softail Blackline models...

Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My siren plug on my heritage was put into a crevis right where the siren box goes. It looked like it was hooked up to something put when I pulled on it the connector it was connected to nothing. I do say it looked a little decieving the first time I went hunting for the connector.