Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Lo w/ Batwing Fairing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sevebou63
Just installed fairing and relocated front turn signals. Painted it flat black to match denim paint. As I mentioned in my last post, HD indicated I would have to bring in my bike to remapp the power to extra plug located on front right area of tank. For me it was plug and play!!! Power is preexisting to this extra plug. No windshield yet since I wanted to measure the height needed first. Ended up ordering the 9" CEE Baileys dark gray windshield. I'm 5'10" and find that the 12" windshield is going to be right around nose to eye height. I prefer it between nose and mouth so I can see over windshield and not edge of it. That would drive me nuts!! Will post more pic's next weekend when it comes in.

Aha! Looks like just the info my hubby has been looking for! He is thinking of getting a Memphis Shades fairing for his 2013 Fatboy Lo and is wondering just how much of a pain in the butt the relocating of the turn signals will be. If I am reading you right, it doesn't seem to be TOO big a deal??

Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Black Gator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Why would you fu#k up a great looking FatBoy with a fairing or a windshield?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Gator
Why would you fu#k up a great looking FatBoy with a fairing or a windshield?

Simple .... Windshields, bags, racks, seats, etc., etc .... Sometimes looks takes a back seat to comfort and/or practicality. If these things are detachable, you can have the best of both worlds, depending on what you want/need at the time.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM
wheels2012
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I FOUND VALUABLE INFORMATION ON THE WIRING PORTION WHEN MOVING FRONT TURN SIGNALS. [YOU DON"T HAVE TO CUT YOUR WIRES!!] I Have already installed Outlaws 12" apes and don't want to take it all apart to relocate the wires again. I found that the wiring on the 2012 model is the same as a Heritage. Meaning if you look on the front right side tank area there is a blank female plug used specifically for turn signals mounted on forks. I bought the male plug and connectors at HD. I think it cost like 15 bucks. The only thing you may have to do (and I will respond when installed whether it is true or not) is you have to bring in your bike and they mapp the power to that plug versus the other one that is used. Cost to remapp is 50.00 at my HD dealership. To me, worth it. Otherwise it supposedly doesn't work. I will let you guys know if this step IS actually necessary when I get it all setup. I believe the wiring is the same on the 2011 model but you may want to check. Models older than 2011 do not have this blank plug. Again there should be an unused female plug located on the right side just inside front tank area.
I have ordered the Memphis Shades Batwing and will post pics once finished.
Any idea if you can use this power for anything else other than signal relocation. I'm about to install a boom audio kit on my 2012 lo but I'm just wondering if I can use this plug for power rather than pulling the tank?! I've already checked and there's 14 Volts on the plug. Any respond would be great!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM
v2plus15
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't happen to have the part number of that male plug do you? I looked all over the Harley website but couldn't find it.

I FOUND VALUABLE INFORMATION ON THE WIRING PORTION WHEN MOVING FRONT TURN SIGNALS. [YOU DON"T HAVE TO CUT YOUR WIRES!!] I Have already installed Outlaws 12" apes and don't want to take it all apart to relocate the wires again. I found that the wiring on the 2012 model is the same as a Heritage. Meaning if you look on the front right side tank area there is a blank female plug used specifically for turn signals mounted on forks. I bought the male plug and connectors at HD. I think it cost like 15 bucks. The only thing you may have to do (and I will respond when installed whether it is true or not) is you have to bring in your bike and they mapp the power to that plug versus the other one that is used. Cost to remapp is 50.00 at my HD dealership. To me, worth it. Otherwise it supposedly doesn't work. I will let you guys know if this step IS actually necessary when I get it all setup. I believe the wiring is the same on the 2011 model but you may want to check. Models older than 2011 do not have this blank plug. Again there should be an unused female plug located on the right side just inside front tank area.
I have ordered the Memphis Shades Batwing and will post pics once finished.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:09 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

v2plus15

(Harley Part # 73156-96BK)

Old 07-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Landon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about using the holes that are already there for the deflectors and dropping in leds. Anyone tried that yet?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
wildtxn
Cruiser

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine isn't a lo model but it is a fatboy and pretty much the entire front end should be about identical. one thing to worry about before you pull the trigger also depending on which shield you go with is the risers and handlebars. you're pretty much limited to 3" if they are straight up. I am trying to find some with a bit more pullback so I can get my handlebars pushed forward a bit more than they are at the moment. I'm using Carlini Evil Knuckles bars at the moment which are a smaller version of apes. I would have went with dragonfly instead but got the kuryakyn fairing for more than 1/2 off it's normal price.