Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt slippage.... Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it is skipping cause the belts loose it will break seen it happen a few times

Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Belt wont slip but the front pulley will strip out it is aluminum and shaft is steel

Old 12-05-2011, 07:08 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Have U ever had the belt tension checked.

If Ur sitting and not going anywhere while Ur motor is revving up Then yes U do have some problems.

Either something is wrong with Ur belt, clutch slipping, or Ur rear tire is in an oil patch.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Smokey Burnouts
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
Belt wont slip but the front pulley will strip out it is aluminum and shaft is steel
Dont take this wrong, but is that a fact?
I'm no motorcycle mechanic, and it seems that the belt would slip before i sheer metal splines. I just cant imagine a stock 96" can sheer parts by just dumping a clutch.
Originally Posted by oct1949
Have U ever had the belt tension checked.

If Ur sitting and not going anywhere while Ur motor is revving up Then yes U do have some problems.

Either something is wrong with Ur belt, clutch slipping, or Ur rear tire is in an oil patch.
Yeah im guessn has been checked during my last service, had a tire put on by an Indy and thinking they maybe left it a little slack. But its not like the oil patch or clutch slipping that last for couple seconds, its just one "clunk-ish" sound when clutch is dumped

Last edited by Smokey Burnouts; 12-05-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
If that did happen, it could only happen once. Once the splines are gone, they're gone. Next time he'd let the clutch out he'd just sit still making a lot of grinding noise.

Originally Posted by Smokey Burnouts
Dont take this wrong, but is that a fact?
I'm no motorcycle mechanic, and it seems that the belt would slip before i sheer metal splines. I just cant imagine a stock 96" can sheer parts by just dumping a clutch.

Yeah im guessn has been checked during my last service, had a tire put on by an Indy and thinking they maybe left it a little slack. But its not like the oil patch or clutch slipping that last for couple seconds, its just one "clunk-ish" sound when clutch is dumped
Look, just check your belt tension. Your belt can jump a few teeth under a heavy load when the belt's loose. And it doesn't necessarily mean the belt is destroyed. It's simple to check. You can visually inspect your belt my simply rotating your tire looking for damage.

To check the belts tension, just twist it by hand. Proper tension should only allow about a 45 degree twist. If you're jumping teeth, your belt will probably twist 90 degrees or more. It's that simple to check.

Last spring after getting mine back from an Indy shop I had the same thing happen where I did jump a few teeth on an aggressive launch. I just adjusted the belt tension at the rear axle adjusters and end of story. I'm still using the same belt 6k miles later and there was no visual damage. Of course mine only jumped teeth once. I'm not sure how many times you can do so without damage, but I'm sure it's not many.

Now go check that belt tension and be done with it!

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I had a loose belt after a tire change....

The belt didn't slip. But every time I jumped on it, the slack tightened up, putting a huge strain on my spoked pulley until SNAP... Shredded pulley...

Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if your belt is slipping the sprockets and belt are very worn and/or the belt is way too loose

Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Phatboy2010
Tourer

KILL A KITTEN PLEASE......

Old 12-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Smokey Burnouts
Road Captain

Well went by the dealer and talked with one of the service guys there that has always been straight with me.... belt was "Way to loose" we looked it over and belt is still in good shape. They gonna tighten it up for me while they got it doing some other odds and ends. So hoping Wed when i'm back in town, everything should be good to go.

But thanks guys for all the good info.... be safe, Rubber side down!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Phatboy2010
Tourer

Originally Posted by Smokey Burnouts
Well went by the dealer and talked with one of the service guys there that has always been straight with me.... belt was "Way to loose" we looked it over and belt is still in good shape. They gonna tighten it up for me while they got it doing some other odds and ends. So hoping Wed when i'm back in town, everything should be good to go.

But thanks guys for all the good info.... be safe, Rubber side down!
Good deal hope nothing got ruined....

Quick Reply: Belt slippage.... Normal?