Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Wide Turnsignal Bar Swapout

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011 | 02:49 PM
Benway
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Heritage Wide Turnsignal Bar Swapout

Here's some documented steps on switching out the wide Heritage turn signal bar with the narrow one from J&P CYCLE (Which HarleyGyrene so generously donated to the project). P/N 3200270

Before:

Pop the tail light off by removing the two phillips screws (red arrows):
Disconnect the turn signal plugs (white arrows) by pushing down on the little tabs on the top of the housing (blue arrows):
Dangle the light carefully (or remove it if you want)
Remove the two 1/2 inch bolts and thick washers from the underside of the fender (yellow arrows):

Remove the socket head screws from the inside of the light bar bracket (yellow arrows):

One problem with the new bar assembly was the seat area was way smaller than factory (red circles). The new bar came with new stainless bolts, thin washers and lock washers. I used the old hardware, but used the thin washers between the new bar and fender (explained later).

Just as I looked at the new bar and how tight the spot was where the socket head screws went for the lights, I saw they drilled a hole for your allen wrench (blue arrow):

The other problem with the new bar is the holes were too narrowly spaced and I had to elongate the fender holes inward (white circle). I almost canceled the project because of this, but the elongated hole was covered (and would be covered, should I put the old bar back on). This is where a trusty can of Rust-Oleum comes in. Touch up the filed metal of the bolt hole.

I sandwiched the stainless washers that came with the new bar between the bar and fender. I felt it gave a more solid mount than the tiny foot print of the new bar had.

Finished product:

Last edited by Benway; 12-04-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2011 | 07:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Looks pretty good, nice job of explaining with the pics also..

Old 12-04-2011 | 07:41 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master

Nice demo...

Old 12-04-2011 | 07:43 PM
quickster47
Club Member

Good explanation and good pictures of the procedure. Have to wonder what they were thinking though when they made those mounting bosses so small, almost tiny.

Carl

Old 12-04-2011 | 08:40 PM
Benway
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by quickster47
Good explanation and good pictures of the procedure. Have to wonder what they were thinking though when they made those mounting bosses so small, almost tiny.

Carl
Yeah, me too, especially since the shape/size/tilt of that seat determines how the lights sit once mounted (tilted up or down). I also filed about 1 degree off the face so the bar was more perpendicular to the ground. Very pleased with the result though. Thanks again to HarleyGyrene.

Old 12-04-2011 | 09:26 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Makes me glad I stuck with the OEM. But good tips for anyone wishing to take the plunge.

Old 12-07-2011 | 04:47 PM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master

Looks good ! And nice job of documentation.

Old 12-07-2011 | 07:12 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer

I'm sure you had a reason to do this, but why? Those lollipop turn signals still look like crap. Not ******* your bike, Harley designed those ugly turn signals. Just curious why one would spend the money for a piece that doesn't fit and doesn't do anything but move the lollipops in an inch or so.

Old 12-07-2011 | 08:45 PM
Benway
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2000FiveOh
I'm sure you had a reason to do this, but why? Those lollipop turn signals still look like crap. Not ******* your bike, Harley designed those ugly turn signals. Just curious why one would spend the money for a piece that doesn't fit and doesn't do anything but move the lollipops in an inch or so.
You saw the 'before' picture, right?

Old 12-07-2011 | 09:32 PM
creatv1
Tourer

I did the same mod and I'm in fact pretty disgusted with the way the part fit. Not ******* on your mod Benway, but they should have made the mount the same freaking size. And for what it's worth I actually like the lollipop when it's shortened like that.

Kuryakyn also makes a narrow replacement bar-- does anyone have any experience with it and how it fits?

Quick Reply: Heritage Wide Turnsignal Bar Swapout