Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011 | 05:13 PM
2012Fatso
|
Cruiser
Default Exhaust Question NEED HELP

I posted this in the tech section but i figured id post it here as well to get more responses. Im not a newbie to working on bikes but i am new to harleys. Well I just got my bassani road rage 2-1 for my 2012 Fatboy lo and im having issues installing it. After i removed the old exhaust i transferred the flanges and snap rings. Went to put the front head pipe on and it wont slide all the way in to the head. I noticed the stock head pipes were made to slip into the exhaust port. The new headpipes arent made to slip in they just sit flat on the port. Since the pipe wont slide in i cant get the nuts on the bolts to tighten it up. Anyone have any ideas? Any insight is much appreciated!

Old 12-03-2011 | 05:29 PM
eleft
Tourer

There 2 types of H-D exhaust gaskets, stock (tapered) & Scream'n Eagle (flat), much thinner.

Al

Old 12-03-2011 | 06:16 PM
mopar
Cruiser

You need to check the fitment again. If the flanges and snap rings will go over the pipes, the pipes will go in the head. I've installed Road Rage 2:1 on my Rocker and two fatboys. All installed with no problems. All of them installed with the pipe in the head.

Old 12-03-2011 | 06:34 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I think you need the S/E gaskets to make it easier to get the pipe into the exhaust port.

Drew

Old 12-03-2011 | 07:44 PM
2012Fatso
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I think you need the S/E gaskets to make it easier to get the pipe into the exhaust port.

Drew
Pm me your price on the screaming eagle gaskets if you can get them

Old 12-04-2011 | 02:08 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

I agree with mopar. If the OEM flanges and snap rings fit, they are the same diameter and therefore, should go in the head. It must go in there to seal on the gasket. My Vance and Hines instructions stated the Screaming Eagle gasket was required. You should replace the gasket regardless.

Old 12-04-2011 | 04:59 PM
2012Fatso
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mswing1234
I agree with mopar. If the OEM flanges and snap rings fit, they are the same diameter and therefore, should go in the head. It must go in there to seal on the gasket. My Vance and Hines instructions stated the Screaming Eagle gasket was required. You should replace the gasket regardless.
I picked up the screaming eagle gaskets and that was the problem i got it all hooked up and installed. I will post pics as soon as i get time.

Old 12-04-2011 | 05:38 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

I have this same exhaust on my bIke, also the same bike and I did the install myself. First make sure you removed the old gaskets. I used regular harley (non Screaming Eagle) gaskets and had no problems. Yes, there isn't a whole lot of exposed thread but it's enough. Remember to alternate and torque to specs per service manual.

Old 12-04-2011 | 05:41 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

I didn't use Screaming Eagle gaskets because I've never had problems with the standard ones and I've read more negative(leaking) than good about them.

Old 12-05-2011 | 06:55 AM
eleft
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2012Fatso
I picked up the screaming eagle gaskets and that was the problem i got it all hooked up and installed. I will post pics as soon as i get time.
It's important to re-torque a couple of times after riding, hot and again cold.

Al

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question