Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gold plating

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Gold plating

I have talked to a few guys on the side about this subject. I know it might sound crazy or extreme but it is what it is. I have been trying to figure out what will make my chrome, my bike really pop. Well, I found a place in Chicago that does decorative gold plating. I am seriousley thinking of taking my driving light visors, blinker visors, points cover, derby cover, inspection plate and the visor above my tach/speedo in to get gold plated. I have the guys name, number an address if anyone was ever interested in or crazy enough to ever want to consider such a thing. I pretty much have all the motor and tranny mods done, suspension done, chrome done, so what the heck, why not!!! It was when I had seen the thread on the yellow film tinting of the runnung lights that made my mind up for me. I think those combo's would look just smokin hot! There is a fine line between sainity and crazy so the price will determine just how much of it gets done. I have seen gold pinstriping, gold flake paint jobs so why not plating? Stay tuned, I have all winter to think about it and to get it done.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gold plating fades, scratches and erodes easily I think

Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Thats food for thought then! I was aware of how easily it scratchs but not the fading. Like I said I am just now starting to consider this and look into it. I have had a few people tell me brass can be buffed to closely resemble gold but I personally have yet to see that. And then on top of that, it's brass! I won't dump all that money until I have had ALL the facts about it that I can possibly find. I have googled it and seen a few bikes with some gold plated pieces, it looked really sick. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

gold could look cool, but i'd look into powdercoating instead of plating.

that'd be a costly mistake to make.

i think they can match gold in powder

Last edited by toastman; 12-01-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that sounds like it would look sharp....i can think of a few spots on my fxs that would look good gold instead of chrome.

i wonder if you could do your own gold electroplating, electrolysis is cool ****

Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's kind of an Asian trademark up here...

Old 12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

The more I have thought about it the more I have looked into it. I am finding they do have "home plating kit's" that you can buy. I would hate to buy that though and screw it up! Then that is a costly mistake!! IF I do it, it will be a one shot deal so I am thinking for the money involved I might be safer and better off paying someone to do it. I won't buy a home kit, screw it up then take it somewhere to have it fixed and done right.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep an eye out for a few year old car with gold plated emblems. They usually look like crap and not cheap to do. maybe try a couple small parts and see. Mike

Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM
asg13
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is my bike..some like it and some hate it..personal preference..i like it but am going to tone it down a bit this winter..got road 6 bars on order with brass end caps as well..I am going to drill holes in the heat shields to contrast things and black the actual exhaust pipes...

Last edited by asg13; 12-01-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Gold is very soft & like others indicated - will easily show wear. Also, might be hard keeping these parts on bike...w/current economy thieves are stealing every thing they can get their hands on. Gold accents could be easy target for some Malt Liquor ca$h...

Quick Reply: Gold plating