Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gold plating

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My father-in-law has his own gold plating side business in Florida. All the big marine manufacturers mail him trim parts to their yachts. He also has done a lot of parts to his '95 Road King. I think it looks really cool. He gets some parts engraved, and then gold plates them. It's not for everyone, but it is a nice touch.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 AM
mwoodyshek
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy just got this done on his 15th anniversary FLSTF to go with the factory badges as you can see below. We have been talking about this for awhile as I have a 100th anniversary FLSTF with gold in the badges as well.

He beat me to the punch and did the axle covers and the bolts around his speedo for now. We are in the process of doing wheel spacers and possibly risers for his bike as well. It looks hot when done right. We both have replaced all of the bolts on our entire engines with chrome (Colony), but I am thinking about having them all re-plated in gold.

Attached Thumbnails Gold plating-rucco2.jpg   Gold plating-rucco3.jpg   Gold plating-rucco6.jpg  
Old 12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Jd1a
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Gold plating was popular on the early 70's show bikes. Some had over $3K in gold plating. Many went the cheap route and had brass plating. Just kept it shined, may be better for a rider.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that looks smokin hot mwoodyshek, it fits that bike to a T, a very sweet bike at that! I don't want to drowned my scooter in gold, just accent it. I got some fake gold air valve caps on my wheels just to see what it looks like and it looks awesome IMO!! Still, I have all winter to play....

Old 12-03-2011, 07:36 PM
KUJOE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I am a jeweler by trade...Gold plating fades and scratches very easy.
My vote a big NO

Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mwoodyshek
My buddy just got this done on his 15th anniversary FLSTF to go with the factory badges as you can see below. We have been talking about this for awhile as I have a 100th anniversary FLSTF with gold in the badges as well.

He beat me to the punch and did the axle covers and the bolts around his speedo for now. We are in the process of doing wheel spacers and possibly risers for his bike as well. It looks hot when done right. We both have replaced all of the bolts on our entire engines with chrome (Colony), but I am thinking about having them all re-plated in gold.
That bike looks awesome. Really like the bars.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

If anyone is interested in seeing a bike with gold plating go to craigslist/chicago as the city/type in harley and click box with pitures and there is an old shovel head that has some gold plating on it. I wonder if that is actually gold plated or if it is something else? I think I will try and get ahold of the guy and ask.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I just talked to the guy that has the gold plated shovelhead for sale on craigslist in the chicago area. he claims that it is actual real gold that it is plated with. thats all I know.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your bike. Very hard to get the look and not come off gaudy looking.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, to each there own. That is what I like the most about this site. A person can see so much and get so many different opinions, get so much data, so much knowledge from those who have gone before you that it really does offer one plenty of input before they actually do try something new. I do believe when the time comes that I am going to just take a few smaller pieces, pieces that would not be to expensive to plate and to go back to chrome if I don't like it and see how it looks. I am going to talk to a few painters I know 1st to see how close powder coating will come to actual gold plating and maybe go that route 1st and see how I like that. Like I said, I have all winter to play with this. I'm in no hurry at all to have this done. I may also drag this out to where I change my mind totally too!

Quick Reply: Gold plating