Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail Classic or the Fat Boy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011 | 08:54 PM
Digger553
|
6th Gear
Default Heritage Softail Classic or the Fat Boy Lo

I'm looking at purchasing my first Harley. I have it narrowed down to the Heritage Softail Classic or the Fat Boy Lo. Any thoughts on which bike I should pick or if I buy used are there any years I should stay away from for any reason like vibration, hard starting or things like that.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

Digger

Old 11-26-2011 | 09:26 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

I might be just a wee bit biased but I highly recommend the Heritage.

You need to sit in each. When I sat in the fat boy I really did not like how the handlebars fit me and a few other little things like that. The looks are obviously different so just pick your bike. They are both great rides.

Oh, welcome to forum.

Old 11-26-2011 | 09:41 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member

Heritage all the way! You can always take the shield and bags off but if you have a Fatboy you won't have them to put on.

The Heritage is HD's BEST bike in the stable!

Last edited by Mal74; 11-26-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2011 | 09:43 PM
Jd Swiper
Road Master

Take a test ride on each! Don't let the little things bother you such as bars n such as most people add mods anyhow!! I gotta tell ya though, I've always wanted a Heritage since I was a kid and have not ben let down, absolutley love it and it's great for 2 up riding as well!!

Old 11-26-2011 | 09:44 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Depends if you want that vintage look (I do!) or not. I also like the spokes vs solid rims. ..though I do like the extra meat on the rear of the fatboy. In the future, I'd like to look at a wider rear end kit for my Heritage, but keep the vintage fender look...

Last edited by Benway; 11-26-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2011 | 09:55 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

That's an interesting choice you have it narrowed down to. Similar in that they're both Softails, but a bit different in terms of looks and what you see yourself doing with the bike. I have an '07 Fat Boy. Love the look of the Heritage, but glad I went with the Fat Boy. If you think you'll need bags and a windshield soon, you'll drop around $1,000+ extra if you go with the Fat Boy, once you add the cost of the bags, shield, hardware, turn signal relocation kit, etc.

First thing I added was the auxiliary lighting, then windshield, then bags. I do a decent amount (not a great deal) of longer-distance riding (a handful of overnight to several-day trips per season in Ohio). Maybe once per year, a trip lasting a week or more. I have the detachable bags, detachable windshield and detachable sissy bar/passenger pillion/luggage rack. I like having that versatility and the fact that I had options for the bags and windshield. Otherwise, I'm usually on country roads for 4 to 5 hours a day, so it's nice to be able to easily take off what I want when I want. And the beefy back end just looks nice (not talking about women here).

I suggest you pick based upon how you see yourself riding the bike.

Last edited by skjskmata; 11-26-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2011 | 09:56 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

I think the Heritage is the most versatile of the Softail line; but I'm biased...

Old 11-26-2011 | 10:03 PM
Digger553
|
6th Gear

Wow!! I'm blown away with the quick responses. I must say I have ALWAYS wanted the Heritage, and just started looking at the Fat Boy. My wife wants to ride, so maybe I should just go with the Heritage. Any thoughts on a year bike I should stay away from or should I just buy new???

Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-26-2011 | 10:07 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

The Heritage is comfortable right of the box for 2 up riding and plenty of storage for both. The bars are very comfortable too. The FB is great out of the box for solo riding. I hated the bar position and I don't like solid wheels. I put ez brackets on my bags and its strips down in 60 seconds. All opinions are subjective of course.

Last edited by golfblues; 11-27-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2011 | 10:26 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Digger553
Wow!! I'm blown away with the quick responses. I must say I have ALWAYS wanted the Heritage, and just started looking at the Fat Boy. My wife wants to ride, so maybe I should just go with the Heritage. Any thoughts on a year bike I should stay away from or should I just buy new???

Thanks again for the help.
Hey Dig,

As folks have mentioned, buy what you think will fit with your riding style. If your wife plans to ride with you often, go with the Heritage. She'll appreciate the baggage space and windshield.

As far as year of bike, most people here can give you better advice than I can. I will say that the '07 I have was the first year with the 6-speed transmission and (I believe) the 96" engine. Don't know how far back in years you're looking at, but if '06 and '07 are on your list, the 6-speed on the '07 would make it easy for me.

Quick Reply: Heritage Softail Classic or the Fat Boy Lo