Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe SPEEDO/TACH - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:10 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Softail Deluxe SPEEDO/TACH - Need Help

Trying to decide which speedo/tach combo to order for my 2009 Softail Deluxe.

The new hot one is 70900070
Combination Analog Speedometer/Tachometer - Spun Aluminum Dial

Maintain the clean view over the handlebar. This unique Combination Speedometer/Tachometer allows you to monitor engine speed without adding a handlebar-mounted tach. The unit mounts in the stock dash opening and is a direct plug-in installation. Gauges feature speedometer and tachometer pointers that sweep clockwise to provide a "gauge within a gauge" look. The backlit gauges include a large LCD information screen that displays odometer/tripmeter data, miles to empty readings, an easy-to-read segmented fuel display, and a gear position indicator. This valuable information is available to the rider at a glance. The gauge features push-button adjustable backlighting with over 600 color tone options, allowing the rider to adjust pointer, LCD and backlighting colors to match any paint scheme or viewing preference. Kit includes a data transfer cable to easily upload initial mileage at time of installation.

But I think the TACH Dial is really to small to be viewed while riding.
So I am also considering this one

74717-10
Combination Digital Speedometer/Analog Tachometer

Maintain the clean view over the handlebar. This unique Combination Digital Speedometer with radial Analog Tachometer allows you to monitor engine speed without adding a handlebar-mounted tach. The gauge features an easy-to-read digital speedometer within a spun aluminum surface, and an analog tachometer that sweeps the perimeter of the face. The digital reading can be easily toggled between MPH and KPH to simplify cross-border travel. The unit mounts in the stock dash opening and is a direct plug-in installation.

Does anyone have this one on their Softail Deluxe? I want to know if this one displays the GEAR while riding.

thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails Softail Deluxe SPEEDO/TACH - Need Help-74776_11_m_26a9d.jpg   Softail Deluxe SPEEDO/TACH - Need Help-74717_10_m_25b57.jpg  
Old 11-22-2011, 04:25 PM
sn9550
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It displays 6th gear only. I love mine. Got it from Zanotti HD in PA for $239! I look at the tac when I'm shifting and the speedo when I'm crusin. Much better then stock.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

I just installed the speedo/tach in my 2012 Heritage Softail and feel this should have been the speedo the bike came with. All of the dials, readings, and indicators are totally programmable as far as color you want. And it's defintely plug and play. Took me less than 10 minutes to remove the old unit and install the new speedo/tach.

As for the smaller tach, in only a few miles I became completely comforable identifying the shift points even if I couldn't see the small numbers. The 3K shift point (my choice) is about 10 o'clock on the dial and there's where I shift.

Again, the bike should have come with the dual speedo/tach but it's an easy upgrade for about $250 or so.

EDIT: Yes, it shows 6th gear as big number on the left side of the speedo.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 PM
loverofBIGtwins
Cruiser

i was at the dealer the other day and they had one that showed the gears, i thought it was the analog one but it may be newer, its this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XexFQ...eature=related

and it should fit your bike, im looking to get it this winter

edit: sorry this is 70900070, i thought you were refering to a different one.

Last edited by loverofBIGtwins; 11-23-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Com'on who has this speedo/tach in a Deluxe???

Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I've got this on both my LO and my wife's Deluxe. We both LOVE it. I got mine for the tach, but honestly...I don't look at it nearly as much as I thought I would. But it's very nice to have on those long straightaways...

If you ride at night, the 70900070 has 600 different color choices to set the 4 different areas to. The other feature I really, really like is always knowing what gear I'm in. I recommend it. The other one seems pretty plain.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 AM
AKHD
Tourer

Cool. Yeah, I'll be looking into something like one of these sometime soon as as well.

Mark H.