Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice for Buying a Used Softail

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Papa Mike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Advice for Buying a Used Softail

Hello all. I am in the market to purchase a used Softail Deluxe or Heritage.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers on critical changes over the model years and any tips on what I need to look for when evaluating a used Softail. My priorities are good brakes and a reliable motor and transmission.

Finally, I will have $11,000 to play with. What model year should I shoot for?

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,943 Likes on 4,141 Posts

Get one with the roller chain cam drive setup. Depending on month 2006 or 2007 on. No big deal if you do your own work. Make sure it runs good. People can really hose these bikes up messing with them. Unless you are very mechanical get a good Harley mechanic to check it out. I been working on engines 40+ years and Harley's with all the roller bearings are really different then all others. Tough as nails in one way but let some big trash get under a roller and things go South in a hurry and if it has loud exhaust it's hard to catch. Stethoscope everything.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM
fmnspooch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I just bought my Deluxe in Sept. I paid about what you have to spend. Mine was an '07 with 2000 miles. I got a good deal, the guy was really looking to dump her quickly, he still had a note on her.

With that said, my opinon, look for one that is fuel injected vs. carb. I believe 06 and up are EFI. Im pretty **** and went over the bike with a fine tooth comb. My bike had one tiny scratch on it and a little weathering on some of the lower chrome, but nothing a buffer couldnt handle.

I was big on records and maintenance, upkeep, battery tender, cover. This guy took really good care of this bike, and it showed. I looked at 3 Deluxes before buying this one. And I could tell he knew what he was doing. I was not in a rush to buy, was really looking for the best bang for my buck, which I believe I found. 60 days later and she's been trasformed already by a bunch of mods. and chrome.

Good luck. Im as happy as a Hipo ever since I got mine.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too just purchased mine and I'm liking the EFI as well. The one bit of advice I can offer is be patient. At least here in my area the market is flooded with some really nice used bikes, they're every where! The first Classic I looked at I fell in love, it was an 02 with only 10K miles...but I couldn't get the guy to move on his asking price (he still thought it was new and didn't realize the current market). When I started opening up my search area I found the one I bought which is the 06 Lux with only 548 miles and I think I got a hell of a deal on her. I drove nearly 3 hours to pick her up, but it was worth every minute of it to get a bike that was nearly new, fully serviced, with new rubber for about $6K less than what a new one would have cost me.

Good luck with your search, just be patient!

The following users liked this post:
Eagle7_jb (02-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Papa Mike
Advanced

Thank you grf000, Pooch, and NC D'LUXE.

I find that I really prefer many of the detail changes on the 07 and newer bikes (tank badges, speedometer, etc...). Pooch and NC, your Deluxes look awesome! I go to bed every night thinking about bikes exactly like yours.

Wish me luck.

Mike

Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are looking for a bike that runs on software then get an EFI bike. If you want one that runs on gas then get one that is carbed. A lot of people like the EFI but I don't, I love the way my bike sounds at idle and you won't get that sound out of an EFI bike. Try to find one that has already had the stage 1 completed, HD builds EPA compliant bikes, you have to tweak them to get them running at optimum.

Eagle7_jb (02-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Romie
Stage II

EFI I believe came in 2002 models and earlier. Either way get what you want. I got my 04 heritage with 17000 miles for under 9k. I now have 24k miles and looks, runs and performs great. I'm sure you will find a great bike. Be patient it took me a few trips and 5 bikes before I found mine.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 PM
JimmyC
Novice

I agree with what a lot of the others have said. Especially on having patience.There are a lot of good deals out there, you just have to look. I prefer the carbs too for the simple fact of the sound. My buddies have 06 and up night trains some with original pipes and a couple with V&H. IMHO they do not sound as good as mine. Of course I am a little prejudiced. As for reliable, bought it with 10000 miles earlier this year and now have 21000 on it. Still runs great. One thing with the carbs though, mine hates the cold air, but once she gets warm she is good to go. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

Eagle7_jb (02-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 PM
fmnspooch
Road Master

Originally Posted by Papa Mike
Thank you grf000, Pooch, and NC D'LUXE.

I find that I really prefer many of the detail changes on the 07 and newer bikes (tank badges, speedometer, etc...). Pooch and NC, your Deluxes look awesome! I go to bed every night thinking about bikes exactly like yours.

Wish me luck.

Mike
Thx Mike, I have to admit, once you get the fever, its not easy to stop. Take a look at OS Deluxe's bike, he is listed as one of my friends on my page. YOU WANT TO SEE A SICK DELUXE! That's were Im getting most of my inspiration from. Ive got a long way to go, but pulling the trigger on a bike is the first step. Good luck and have fun man.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Bought mine last year and for me I wanted EFI and the 6 speed transmission, when riding on the highway I love that 6th gear. I shopped for months and never found one of those "to good to be true" steals that everybody says they got when buying their bike.

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice for Buying a Used Softail