Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice for Buying a Used Softail

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011 | 12:40 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer

If brakes is a priority you're looking at the wrong bikes. Both have crappy stock brakes. We have 2 Softies in the stable and neither have the stopping power of the Road King. The Heritage is a good looking bike though. The Deluxe exhaust is higher than the Heritage so expect to feel a bunch more heat. Both ride like crap compared to the King but all Softies ride like trucks. The Deluxe sits a little lower so it's popular with female riders. Some folks like the 6 speed but once you ride one you'll see it's a dog in 6th gear unless you run on the highway at above 75 mph. On the flip side the 88" motors were gutless but you don't notice it as much because of the gearing. If you're on an 11K budget look for something around 8 grand because you'll need the other 3K to make any of them run halfway decent. Personally I think any Road King is a much better bike than either of the 2 softies and can be found in the same price range. But if you're sold on a Softail I'd go for a low mile Heritage, 5 speed, carb. The speeds are bullet proof and a crab is easier and cheaper to work on, especially when it comes to tuning. Also try to avoid a bike that has engine mods. These things will go forever if left alone. Not to mention if the motor was left alone the previous owner probably wasnt concerned with big power and didn't beat on it. The closer to the stock with the lowest miles will, most of the time, be your best bet. Either way...good luck! Take your time and find a good one.

The following users liked this post:
Eagle7_jb (02-20-2023)
Old 11-21-2011 | 09:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member

After 5yrs now, I'd look for one at least 07 or newer.
That way U get the 96'er and 6 speed.
then get what U like.

Old 11-21-2011 | 09:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Really bull chit that forum is soo slow that it double post all the time now....

Old 11-21-2011 | 09:29 PM
Papa Mike
|
Advanced

Thank you all for the advice.

I will be patient. I want to make a sound purchase That will satisfy the Harley Fever I have and I want to purchase a bike that will hold its value.

I paid a visit to the dealer yesterday and I really do appreciate some of the styling cues on the newer bikes. I saw a 2006 Deluxe with 500 miles, a 6 speed tranny and tons of chrome. The Vivid Black finish made the bike look truly jewel like. The asking price was $15,000, but I would imagine the price is negotiable.

I need to get busy selling my Porsche.

Thanks.

Mike

Old 01-04-2012 | 04:52 PM
Papa Mike
|
Advanced

Well, I dragged my feet a bit on putting my car up for sale, but it sold in the first 24 hours sight unseen to a lucky fellow out of state.

My Harley Davidson quest is now in full forward mode. This past month I have looked and tried to learn. I am set on the fact that I will not be content unless I get my hands on a bike that really fits specific aesthetic criteria.

I am hooked on Softail Deluxes and Heritae(sp?). I am really attracted to Deluxes in two tone turquoise/white, Sunglow/white, and Cobalt/white. Those darn step free rims look killer and the chrome lower forks look amazing too.

For Heritages, I love the Vivd Black, but I gotta have white walls.

Finally, a set of Dual crossover straight pipes or fishtails finish the look off for me. Of course, lowered a little helps too.

In other words $$$$$. It always seems to come down to that.

There are a couple 2009 local used dealer bikes for $15,999 that have less than 5,000 miles that fit the bill. Or would I be better off buying brand new for $3,000 more?

What would you guys do? I can slap $9,000 down. And, I don't have money falling into my pockets. I am a regular shmoe.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Mike

Old 01-04-2012 | 05:47 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

Seriously, look on eBay and get a feel for what's out there for sale. There are so many late model/low milage bikes out there; Deluxe (my preference between the two) and Heritage included. I don't think you'll necessarily find a "too good to believe it" deal but there's a lot of great deals to be had. I got my FB that way and got a really good deal and the bike was perfect. Your $11K should find a bike you like. I would prefer the 96" EFI and 6 speed.

Old 01-04-2012 | 06:28 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master

To me the biggest danger of buying used is ending up with someone else's lemon, or a bike that has had the crap run out of it. To insure against this I would recommend only buying from the original owner. Additionally, if he can't show mechanical receipts for trips the bikes had into the shop proving his commitment to scheduled maintenance, I'd be nervous.

Besides condition and appearance of the bike, the next tell tail hints I've gotten prior to purchase was my impression of the sellers, lawn, garage, other vehicles, what ever you can see and evaluate owned by the seller when you got to check out his Harley.

If the guys garage is a oily junk filled dump.....I'd be thinking hard about passing him and his scooter by. Seems like a fella that cared about his motorcycle would reflect the same concern and care about all he owns.

Go to a dealers showroom....and you got no idea who (or how many others) owned the bike...and taking ANY salesmen's word on that is a chumps move in my opinion.

Finally, I'd not write off good clean, low mileage, one owner bikes with late model EVO 80 CI motors. Many admit those well maintained power plants are as close to bullet proof as a Harley motor ever got. Some of the best and biggest smokin' deals on earth can be found in this arena.

Good Luck

The following users liked this post:
Eagle7_jb (02-20-2023)
Old 01-04-2012 | 08:56 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ejvette
Bought mine last year and for me I wanted EFI and the 6 speed transmission, when riding on the highway I love that 6th gear. I shopped for months and never found one of those "to good to be true" steals that everybody says they got when buying their bike.
Agree, get the 6th speed (wished my Heritage had a 6th speed) and EFI. Also, check Craigslist and EBay for some great deals. I have purchased bikes on both and got some phenomenal deals that a dealer couldn't remotely touch (5k difference). Winter is the best time to buy especially if you check EBay in the colder climates. SJ Ron

Old 01-04-2012 | 09:28 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

You are crazy if you don't insist on EFI and the six speed. The six speed is HUGE.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2012 | 09:33 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

One more comment, if you are taller than say 5-10, you will need to make several adjustments to the Deluxe. Seat mods, floorboard extensions, highway pegs, and IMO apes. Without these adjustments, you will not be comfortable because of the way you are so closely positioned to the tank. Just keep that in mind. SJ Ron

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice for Buying a Used Softail